Author Topic: Triangle / Ripponden area of Halifax  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Triangle / Ripponden area of Halifax
« on: Sunday 18 October 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone live in the Triangle / Sowerby / Ripponden area of Halifax?  Do you know whether the Roll of Honour which used to be inside the Triangle Pub is still there?  The UK National Inventory of War Memorials says

ACCORDING TO 1992 REPORT, PREVIOUS LANDLORD TOOK IT WITH HIM WHEN HE LEFT BUT IT WAS LATER RECOVERED AND RETURNED BY THE BREWERY

Can anyone throw any light on its current whereabouts?

Thanks in advance
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Triangle / Ripponden area of Halifax
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
If there is a local newspaper in that Triangle area maybe they could be persuaded to carry an item/run a campaign to locate it.

Or maybe the Returned Soldiers League[ don't know the name of their organisation in Britain] could get on its track.

charlotte

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
Charlotte:

It may well be the case that the roll of honour has been re-instated in the pub.

I was rather hoping that some local genealogist might just pop in and have a look.

I could telephone the pub, but if someone lived in the area ...

Malcolm
Surname interests:

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 09 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya Malcolm,  I'm in Shibden, so not too far away. We can nip out that way tomorrow and take a look for you.
Christine
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
hi phil  re triangle pub the roll of honour was built into the gable end of the pub but in recent times the gable end has been under attack from firstly a man who thought is wife was in the pub with another man tried to commit suicide and also kill his wife or companion set off at great speed and crashed the car into the gable end so it might have been badly damaged by that, then at a later date and not very long ago a wagon crashed into the gable end and it all had to be rebuilt, so it is possible that it didnt get put back. the wagon took out most of the corner of the gable and damaged the rest and you could see into the interior of the living area. the roll of honour was inbetween the two lower windows these had an arched top. the pub was shut for quite a long timeand the road was on a one way system,  it was then reopened but that didnt last long and as far as i know its still closed, i was only at the first house past the pub on monday as a friend had a plumbing problem and i went to sort him out, but never thought to look at the gable, have you tried the british legion for the area or lookek this weekend for any sign of wreaths? keith marsden,  have you seen derek latley

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:30 GMT (UK) »
http://www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk/forums/links/showlink.php?do=showdetails&l=10755&p=12311#post12311

Heres Triangles War Memorial....If you look at the little sign to the left it states the original Roll is in the Triangle(pub) feel free to view. So i guess this is a modern War Memorial.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
The pub is now closed and up for sale. 

I think Malcolms original query was that, inside the pub there was, and no one seems to know if it's still there, the original memorial. 
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
hi malcolm sorry about calling you phil i was mixing you up with phil bull who lived in warley and started timeform,

now back to the rolls list, had a word with the friend that lives next to the pub and he was in on the night it closed and he says that it was still in the pub then but as it is now for sale there has been people going in so he isnt sure its stil there so he has just been outside in the rain and got the phone number of the  estate agent and it is a leeds no.   0113-2340304 and they are called Flurette. it might not be spelt right but thats how it sounded. keith

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 09 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for going to all this trouble, Keith, it's much appreciated.  It looks like the roll of honour is still inside the pub.

Following earlier responses to this thread,  Christine sent me photos which she took of the external memorial.  You can see these on my Calderdale Companion website at

http://calderdalecompanion.co.uk/ph1269.html

and Emily sent me photos which she took of the memorial inside the pub in 2005.  You can see these at

http://calderdalecompanion.co.uk/ph1268.html

Thanks to everyone who has responded

Malcolm
Surname interests: