Author Topic: Doran Family  (Read 7294 times)

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doran Family
« on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find an Edward Doran (1864-1950) originally from Letterkenny in County Donegal. He married Grace McDaid (also sometimes recorded as McDevitt) in Letterkenny in 1895.
They must have emigrated to Scotland shortly afterwards.

I know that they had at least two children - Ellen and Maggie.
From Scotlandspeople I have found that Ellen lived from 1899-1985. I assume she wasn't married as she is listed as Doran at her death.

The family seems to have lived in Old Kilpatrick for many years.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oisín
Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Doran Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Oisinh

From the family's 1901 census entry, Ellen looks to have been born in Ireland and then Maggie in Clydebank:

Edward Doran 36, coachman, b. Ireland
Grace Doran 35, b. Ireland
Elen Doran 2, b. Ireland
Maggie Doran 3 weeks b. Clydebank

Address: 11 Blythswood View, Clydebank, Old Kirkpatrick

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doran46

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
I am Edward Doran grandson my grandad had five children  Ellen Born Ireland
Margaret Born Clydebank, Daniel, Cissy, Edward. all born in Clydebank they are all dead now   I have cousins still living in Clydebank  and my brothers family in Australia  I am  Brian Doran  My dad was Edward Doran son of E Doran Senior
I would be happy to help with the family tree  my E. Mail  is 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline helen51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Helen Devine granddaughter of Daniel Doran, son of Edward Doran and Grace (McDaid) Doran . Edward and Grace's daughters all married.. Maggie married a Bernard Sweeney in 1923, (H)Ellen married Robert Doyle in 1926 and Annie (Cissie) married George Shirran in 1934.
Ellen's baptism certificate names her as Mary Ellen and at the same I me were living in Derry
Brian Doran is cousin to my mum Agnes Doran

Offline Ajeff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Andrew Jeffrey grandson of Maggie and Bernard Sweeney. They had four children Daniel, Margaret, Phylis and Bridie. My mother is Margaret. She was born in Letterkenny in 1930 and moved to London to train as a nurse in the 1950's. Where she married my father Robert Jeffrey. Maggie, Bernard , Danial, Phylis and Bridie all moved from Letterkenny back to the Clydebank area.
Phylis married James Andrews and had 5 children. Bridie married a Chic Reid and also had 5 children. My mum Margaret always said I took after the Doran side of the family. Daniel married and had 3 daughters.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
I know that they had at least two children - Ellen and Maggie.
From Scotlandspeople I have found that Ellen lived from 1899-1985. I assume she wasn't married as she is listed as Doran at her death.
If you are just looking at the index, you can't assume that. Married women's death certificates are indexed under their maiden surnames as well as under those of their husband(s).

Mary Ellen Doran, who died in Old Kilpatrick in 1985, is also indexed as Mary Ellen Doyle. So if this is your Ellen Doran, she married a Doyle. However there is no listing of a marriage of Ellen D*r*n to a Doyle in the marriages index, so either she didn't get married in Scotland, or this isn't your Ellen Doran.

Sorry, just realised the original post is years old, but I'll let it stand since I've gone to the bother of looking it up.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline helen51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Ellen Doran was married Robert Doyle on 16th July 1926 but gives her name as Helen Doran
Margeret married Bernard Sweeney on the 24th September 1923.
Annie Doran (who was known as Cissie) married George Shirran on the 15th August 1934
The three sisters married at Our Holy Redeemer's Church in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire
Daniel Doran married Helen Haggerty on the 15th July 1929 at St Stehpen's Church Dalmuir West Dunbartonshire
Unfortunately I don't know when Edward married but his wife was called Sadie
Maggie and Cissie were both at my wedding
I am looking for more information on Grace McDaid and her parents , Edward McDaid and Eleanor Duffy if anyone has any knowledge of them I would be grateful

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 April 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Son Edward Doran married a Sarah Rafferty Burns in 28 Dec 1928. She was 20 at the time, daughter of a James Burns, Railway Porter, and Agnes Sherrin (?spelling) who was deceased a the time of the marriage in Old Kirkpatrick, at St Stehpen's Church Dalmuir.

I am not connected to the family, just saw this detail on someone else's family research.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 April 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
You have Grace McDade's details don't you? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F51J-KPP

One potential sibling for her, Patrick 1878 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGK2-JJ7

Have you tried the Irish 1901 & 1911 census for the McDade family (assuming they remained in Ireland)?

Monica