Author Topic: HEDGCOCK, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial  (Read 16460 times)

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HEDGCOCK, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial
« on: Wednesday 21 October 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
I am requesting a lookup for Hedgcock, Bertram Charles, death and burial, probably in Ballarat, Victoria, as his wife Loreena Jane Hedgcock nee Datson died there in 1956. He is not listed in Vic Death Index up to 1985. He was born in Mildura, Victoria in 1896. He is a recipient of an MBE.  Can anyone also please advise if there is a special site to find out why? He is also mentioned for 1915 to 1917 on the National Archives Website, but he is not on the Australian War Memorial Nominal or Embarkation Rolls as a serviceman.
Cook/e, Lennell/Linnell, Knight, Lymbery, Goodsell, Herne, Power, Organ, Clapson, Renfrey, Foxall, Penney, Hunter, Weeks, Medlen, Fitzgibbon, Cross, Morris, Crabb/Crappe, Jenkins, Gilligan/Gallighan, Manning, Bridgeman, Dowdeswell, Grace, Gee, Roe, Freeman, Osborne, Norman, Pender, Whitlock, Ashdown, Catt, Russell, Willard, Seaman

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hedgcock, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls

Bertram Charles Hedgcock
postal official, Lime Ave, Mildura  at same address:
Edwin Thomas Hedgcock, cabinet maker
Alfred Leslie Hedgcock, labourer
Charlotte Hedgcock, home duties

civil servant,109 Lime Ave, Mildura
also at address Alfred Leslie Hedgcock,labourer, Charlotte Hedgcock, home duties, Doris Mary Hedgcock, home duties

civil servant, Burgoyne St Kerang, with Lorenza (sic) Jane, home duties

postal official, 23 Robinson St, Dandenong with Loreena Jane HD

postal employee, 83 Pine Ave, Mildura with Loreena Jane HD

postmaster, Glenfern Rd, Ferntree Gully with Loreena Jane HD

postmaster, Postal Residence, Maffra with Loreena Jane HD

postmaster, Morialta, Murray St East, Colac, with Loreena Jane HD

I only have access to rolls up to 1954

My guess is he got the MBE for services as a postmaster.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
beat me to it JudB ;)

The NAA site does not necessarily mean he was enlisted in WW1 could refer to any number of things

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Jenn, LOL :P

The Australian National Library's digitised newspapers have a death notice for his father in The Argus, 6 January 1921

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Interestingly I see a Bertram Hedgcock born Ealing UK abt 1895 on the 1901 UK census but the rest of the family is quite different - unusual name, though.

Googling produced a couple of mentions including one on Rootsweb - but perhaps that was you ozcar?
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
On the National Archives site is a mention of Mr B C Hegdcock - honour and the contents date  given is March 1969 - perhaps this is about the MBE?  You could email them and ask for further information

You can also request a copy of the informatin of the file dated 1915-1917.

Judith

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HEDGCOCK, Bertram Charles, MBE Death and Burial
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for such a prompt response and the great info you have provided. I am very appreciative of your voluntary help and hope I can assist someone in the same spirit. Thanks again
Cook/e, Lennell/Linnell, Knight, Lymbery, Goodsell, Herne, Power, Organ, Clapson, Renfrey, Foxall, Penney, Hunter, Weeks, Medlen, Fitzgibbon, Cross, Morris, Crabb/Crappe, Jenkins, Gilligan/Gallighan, Manning, Bridgeman, Dowdeswell, Grace, Gee, Roe, Freeman, Osborne, Norman, Pender, Whitlock, Ashdown, Catt, Russell, Willard, Seaman

Offline 350zcar100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the Newspaper articles for Hedgcock from the above link, which is gratefully appreciated, and it seems that Mr B C Hedgcock was very involved in Community matters. This may be why he was awarded the MBE. He was elected as Treasurer of the Penshurst and District Bush Fire Brigade in 1940, and  he presided over a meeting in July 1944 of the combined Progress Associations of the Dandenongs to consider a report on electrifying the Railway to Emerald. Mr B C Hedgcock was also re-elected as President of the combined associations.

I also note that the Death notice for his father asked Auckland papers to please copy. I thought that Bertram may have gone to NZ after his wife's death, but my NZ burial locator does not list him, nor does the NZ Death records on line. He is not in NSW up to 1978, nor SA to 1972 either.

What an interesting family.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
BERTRUM CHARLES HEDGCOCK was cremated at Ballarat Crematorium on 24/6/1987
Loc. RG G4R01
At the same exact location is
EVA IRENE MAY HEDGCOCK who was cremated 22/9/1993.

I will search further.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
he is recorded on:

www.itsanhonour.gov.au

Leanne