Author Topic: Bastardy Files for Aberdeenshire Look-up please  (Read 9390 times)

Offline marionfm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Files for Aberdeenshire Look-up please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 05 17:16 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have anything on Elisabeth Elles (sometimes Elizabeth Ellis) - she had an illegitimate child, William Jaffray (sometimes Jeffery etc) in 1846 in Boddam. We have them in the 1851, 1871, I think the 1881 and the 1891 census.

We have tried without success to find out more about William's father. I believe the father was John Jaffray and that they owned "the big house", and the family might have moved away soon after that.

Any bastardy report - the child was given his name - or any other info would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Marion

Offline canadiangirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 02:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where/how I would search Bastardy Files?? Thanks

Barb

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd never heard of the bastardy files until this topic. I asked someone at the Aberdeen and Northeast Scotland Family History Society and was told this was an English file it wasn't done in Scotland, but someone might know differently.

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline canadiangirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 05 14:47 BST (UK) »
I have heard also that there are Bastardy files for Scotland.  I am also looking for the Abendeershire area.  Thanks for your reply!!

Barb

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was told there are no such records called Bastardy Files among Scottish records.
Records of fornication between a couple, leading to the birth of an illegitimate child, are to be found in the minutes of the kirk session records of the Church of Scotland - and Free/Secession churches, if there were any in the parish.

Naturally, there is a gap in the minutes of the kirk session records for the area and dates I wanted!!!

However, I went into the National Archives of Scotland and searched under "bast*rdy" and a whole lot of references came up.

I have the site address for NAS if you are interested.

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline canadiangirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply....I would appreciated the site address for NAS.  Will let you know if I am sucessful!!

Barb

Offline Cully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 May 05 23:01 BST (UK) »
I would also like the Site address for NAS please.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 May 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
Ysabeau,

Might have another NAS site for the files, but I have this NAS one which might help:

http://www.dswebhosting.info/nas/

Good hunting,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 May 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have anything on Elisabeth Elles (sometimes Elizabeth Ellis) - she had an illegitimate child, William Jaffray (sometimes Jeffery etc) in 1846 in Boddam. We have them in the 1851, 1871, I think the 1881 and the 1891 census.

We have tried without success to find out more about William's father. I believe the father was John Jaffray and that they owned "the big house", and the family might have moved away soon after that.

Any bastardy report - the child was given his name - or any other info would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Marion

Marionfm, can't help you but I have lots of Jaffreys in my family from around that time that might be of help.....

Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine