Author Topic: Underground Manchester  (Read 713 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Underground Manchester
« on: Wednesday 21 October 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone interested could make it, next month 18th November    ---the third Wednesday at 7-30 in Ramsbottom Civic Hall the author of "Underground Manchester" is giving a talk  on  that subject which promises to be very interesting. I know some RootsChatters have shown interest in the book, which is about all the tunnels etc under the streets of Manchester I believe.
There is a small entry fee to offset costs for use of the hall, about £1-50. It is organised by Ramsbottom Heritage Society but you don`t have to be a member--everyone is welcome.Viktoria.

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 09 08:17 BST (UK) »
If you Google 'Underground Manchester' it comes up with a couple of sites and forums for this subject, including a BBC 'Inside Out' programme from the North West

I was fortunate enough to go down one of these in the '70's when researching WW2 air raid shelters. [Before the days of Health and Safety!]
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Manchester
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks gensleuth,I had imagined them to be very different from those the  interesting video showed .I have heard there are many more especially near the G.P.O.Anyway we will see at the talk in November.                                                                                                                                          I was told by my Dad that at Hunts Bank in front of The Cathedral ,opening onto the river frontage there are rows of shops and cellar dwellings, again a short programme on T.V.briefly covered the subject.Thanks again, Viktoria.