Author Topic: Horsley Coppice / Lee Lane  (Read 5125 times)

Offline hireman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Horsley Coppice / Lee Lane
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
I have a old map dated 1838 and the coppice is shown on the left hand side of Cloves Hill if you were travelling down Cloves Hill from Brackley Gate.it would have been on the righthand side of the Roman road RYKNELD STREET.
Regards
Ken

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi hireman,

Thanks for that, I see it on a modern map, it's called Coppice Dumble. I wonder why its name changed?
HAMMERTON: Berks/Bucks/Marylebone
BANCROFT/PEACH/WOODWARD: Derby
MILLER/RANDALL: Ixworth/Pakenham
POLLARD: Ixworth/Chelsea/Paddington
KING/BOOTH: Crowland/Peterborough
CLAYTON/TRATT: Holborn/Clerkenwell
DE{U/I}T{S}CHMAN{N}: Russia/Whitechapel/Spitalfields

Offline MobileNanny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom, yes these are the two references from the Derby Mercury that I am trying to follow-up. John Woodward was living at Lee Lane, Holbrook on the 1841 census, but I cannot find him on the 1851. I'm not sure what 'formerly' means in the context of the death notice, a birthplace, address where he lived for most of his life, or last known address?

Thanks for the link to Old-Maps web site, I've tried it many times, but have never had any luck as the site always seems to crash. After a bit of lateral thinking I switched from Opera to Firefox, and after a couple more crashes and fiddling with cookies, actually managed to view a map!! Not that the quality is particularly good, but it beats all the maps that I have found so far.

Ashie1973,
If you follow this link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coxbench&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.104954,30.717773&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Holbrook,+Belper,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.989884,-1.456134&spn=0.00651,0.023174&t=h&z=16 the lane running almost East/West in the centre of the map is what I take to be Lee Lane.

Paul

Hi Paul. It's my belief that Lee Lane was actually a very small hamlet/area, rather than an actual 'lane'. I have a baptism (at St John's in Belper) of an ancestor whose parents were recorded as being from 'Lee Lane'. At the time this area near near Holbrook would have been in the Duffield Parish and, at the time of the baptism, baptisms had only just started at St John's chapel in Belper. If it had only been a 'lane' then I believe that the baptiam entry would have refered to either Holbrook or Coxbench as their place of living and the nearest villages. I could be mistaken, of course, but that has been my take on it for some years now.

Offline MobileNanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, me again.
I've now had chance to look more closely at your map and feel that I have to disagree in your placement of Lee Lane. In 1841 it's mentioned in the census of Holbrook so I believe it to be nearer to Holbrook village than you have it but I still need to verify this myself before being certain about it. But I am certain that you have it too far south on the map. I'll keep you informed if I find out anything else.

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi MobileNanny, thanks for your replies. It is possible that Lee Lane was in fact a hamlet and not an actual Lane. Although I have very recently found mention of a house in Lee Lane, Coxbench. In the 1851 census Lee Lane is sandwiched between entries for Day Park and Coxbench. Day Park being the farm to the west of my google maps link. I will do a bit more trawling through later censuses and see if I can find any more clues.  :-\

Offline MobileNanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
A new thought has occured to me having had looked at some census information. I'm wondering now whether Lee Lane was the previous name of Portway? More research is definately needed to get to the bottom of this.

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting theory, MobileNanny. It could explain why Portway doesn't appear in the early census returns, but can be found on later maps.

Offline grandmacat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 October 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
I too have been checking into where Lee Lane was because my ancestors lived there.
I have plotted a part of the 1841 enumerators route as follows:-
Lee Lane to Rose/Road? Cottage,
 then to Day Park,
 then to Coxbench Hall,
 then to Lee Lane,
then to Holbrook and on to Moor side Holbrook, Overstone etc.

In other words, this is a small circular walk from high up Portway.  Walkin down the hill, then taking a right hand turn via a cottage name which is difficult to read,  towards Day Park, (which we know from maps, is in the Lee of the Hill behind).   From there to Coxbench Hall, then back to Lee Lane and up again to Holbrook.
I have to conclude that Lee Lane was the Portway as the name Portway doesn't appear in the 1841 census.
Someone else on here has suggested this already.  I am trying to add evidence to support.
Lee Lane could of course continue down, beyond Coxbench Hall towards the Fox and Hounds.

Hope someone can add their findings.

Cathy.