Author Topic: currans in fennagh and myshall  (Read 24040 times)

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: currans in fennagh and myshall
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 January 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again
I haven't updated this much recently, so I thought i'd just add a bit of info, I received a PM from another member recently, I won't mention them or their message, but I just wanted to post my reply as I feel it is quite informal in what progress I have made in relation to the Currans here in Drumphea.

Hi there
Thank you for taking a look at my entry at rootschat for the old currans of Myshall. At this present moment I don't know of a connection to the Currans in the Borris area, though Borris is not too far away Myshall area, where my currans are from, I have always had this theory that Currans in Carlow originate in the Carlow town area and spread from there, even to the extent of going into Kilkenny, Wexford, and even into Waterford, I have always felt this way, because as it stands going back many centuries, Currans were originally from the old provinces of Breffni and Ulster, and that they would have gradually moved south for whatever reason over maybe about 1000 years, some moved down the west coast, hence the big amount of Currans down in Galway, Clare and Kerry, and then ours, which went around the Carlow town area and spread from there. Maybe i'm wrong, but that is just a theory on my behalf.
As to the connection, I am sure, with that kind of name, he is related. My grandad came from Drumphea, though his grandad was from Kncklonagad, only a few hundred metres south of Drumphea. But going beyond that, my GGGgrandfather was from Boherduff, about five miles north of Knocklonagad, there are a lot of Currans in the Boherduff/ Bagenalstown area over the years, and that is ultimately stepping back to Carlow Town, I have heard that there is record of Currans being up there in the early 1600's, need i say more?
I think that your James originates from the Knocklonagad Curran's(once again only a theory) because there was quite a large number of male siblings down there and they all left, except for possibly one or two, it is even to the extent that by the 1901 census there aren't any Currans in Knocklonegad, as it is spelt in the census. Assuming that they had to move onto fresher pastures, which would possibly had been around the early 1800's, because they were all born in the late 1700's, would kind of fit in with the idea that your james could be a son of one of them, but then maybe the Currans have been in the Borris area pre 1820?
Any way, I hope this has been of some help, I am also going to post this reply up on the thread, because maybe it will be of some help too others.
All the best
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline pdd2014

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: currans in fennagh and myshall
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 October 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete, I have a g grandfather John Curran that I have born in the Borris area around 1870. Do you have any further information about this as you seem to be referring to a comment given to you in  a PM. My g grandfather emigrated to Queensland in the late 1880s.

many thnks Peter