Author Topic: Flintshire Parish  (Read 3158 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Flintshire Parish
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
Can someone help? The map I have of Flint parishes is very indistinct. I am trying to identify a parish south of Yseifiog which looks like
LLANDYRN ..??
Does this mean anything to anyone?Thanks. Toby.

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
  • RIP Horace Chambers ~ 14.12.1916-12.06.2010
    • View Profile
Re: FLINTSHIRE PARISH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Could be Llandyrnog... tho would say that's SW of Ysceifiog rather than directly south... it's on the B5429 which runs from Rhuddlan and links up with the A494 just north of Bryn Saith Marchog according to Google Maps

Katie
WRY - Chambers, Burgin, Green, Bradley, Jefferson, Bates, Widdowson, Vickers; DUR - Brennan; LKS - Conway, McGunnigal; KEN - Harrison; GLA - Thomas, Jones; STI - Conway; SSX - Coleman, Freeman, Jefferson; NTT - Jefferson, Chambers; DBY - Chambers, Smith; NBL - Harrison; TIP - Conway

Online wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FLINTSHIRE PARISH
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
The Parish you write of first is Ysceifiog,I think the Parish you can't read could well be Llandyrnog.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Flintshire Parish
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I think you are both right but finding it very difficult to download a suitable map to confirm the boundaries and position of adjoining parishes.
Toby.

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting Flintshire Records Office to see if they have a better map...

Flintshire Record Office,
The Old Rectory,
Hawarden,
Flintshire.
CH5 3NR.
Tel:               01244 532364         01244 532364 (for enquiries and reservations)
Tel:               01244 532414         01244 532414 (Flintshire County Archivist)
Fax: 01244 538344

E-mail: archives@flintshire.gov.uk
WRY - Chambers, Burgin, Green, Bradley, Jefferson, Bates, Widdowson, Vickers; DUR - Brennan; LKS - Conway, McGunnigal; KEN - Harrison; GLA - Thomas, Jones; STI - Conway; SSX - Coleman, Freeman, Jefferson; NTT - Jefferson, Chambers; DBY - Chambers, Smith; NBL - Harrison; TIP - Conway

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
According to the maps in my copy of "Parish Registers of Wales" Llandyrnog is in Denbighshire, though as Katie says it's slightly west of south; Flintshire parishes beginning with "Llan" are far fewer than those in Denbighshire.
                             Pinot

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
I was thinking that myself Pinot but thought it might have been in the 'Old' (pre-1973? I think) Flintshire, before Clwyd was formed.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 09 10:06 GMT (UK) »
The foreword to 'Parish Registers of Wales' says:'The text of this volume is arranged by the historic counties of Wales as they were at the time of their disappearance under the reorganization of local government in 1974 . . .' but goes on: 'certain of the ancient counties of Wales have reappeared [after further reorganization in 1996] , although some of these do not have the same boundaries as they had before 1974.'
          Which leaves the problem unsolved; I think your best course is to contact Flint and Denbigh record offices and talk to them. Can you possibly post a scan of your map?
                       Pinot

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pinot,
Your explanation is very helpful. For copyright reasons I cannot scan the map I have. My recourse is to go back to the source and have a closer look with a decent magniying glass.
Toby.