Author Topic: Taylor and Tayleur  (Read 17817 times)

Offline Aotearoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor and Tayleur
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
What I would now be interested to know is whether the Liverpool born Cresswell John Tayleur (1838-?), and Lucy Maria Stowell (1842-1891), had any children, though I suspect they did not.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
327/2/2/91/1 at Shropshire Archives
Date 1 Aug 1666
Marriage settlement - Tayleur
1. Creswell Tayleur of Meeson
2. Walter Story of Littlehales and Thomas Smith of Admaston
3. Thomas Tayleur, second son of the said 1., and Rachell his wife
In consideration of the marriage already had between TT and RT; 1. grants a messuage and tenement with all lands, hereditaments and appurtenances in the township of Great Bolas to 2. for the term of their natural lives, to hold upon a number of trusts and uses.

Peter

Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Peter.  The Great Bolas property information is very interesting.  :)  Do you know which land was granted to Thomas in Great Bolas?  I had this Thomas and his son Thomas marked down as "of Longdon on Tern".   Do you know anything else about Thomas and his family line, please?
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
I ventured down this line awhile back - all my ancestors were called Thomas Taylor! I suggest you search for Tayleur on the Shropshire Archives Online Catalogue - there's plenty there relating to this line.
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Davirv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from the Tayleur family of Shropshire and Devon.  My great grandmother was born a Tayleur.  There are no Tayleurs remaining with their surname.  If you would like to know about them I can help you.

Offline simoncartlidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm working with a local group trying to save an old national school from demolition. We're busy at the moment trying to research the history of the building and have a record for the managers of the school in the 1840's-50's, one of them named as H. Tayleur of Buntingsdale Hall. We're desperate to trace more history of the family and in particular the members of the family who lived at Buntingsdale. If anyone has any information it would be great if you could help out. We know so far that William Tayleur became MP for Bridgewater in his late 20's and Charles Tayleur moved to Warrington, founded the Vulcan Engineering Works and helped build the Menai Bridge before moving on to ships. He was the builder of the White Star Line's 'original Titanic' RMS Tayleur. We'd love to know where these two fit in to the family and of the connection they or other members had with the local community and especially the old national school.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Simon

I have lots of information and will help you as much as I can.  What timescales are you working to?

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Which school is it you are trying to save?  Is it in the Shropshire area?

Offline simoncartlidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much,

It's the Little Drayton National School as was, more recently Little Drayton Community Centre. We're not sure how much the Tayleur connection might help but we're trying to chase every lead possible at the moment. As a group we've been working since August to try and reopen the building as the hub of the community but found out the week before Christmas that the county council have decided to sell to a developer. We're hoping if we can build up enough information on the building and its history we may still be able to raise enough interest with regards to its historical importance that we may still be able to save it. As part of the connection to the Tayleurs we know that they used Samuel Pountney Smith as architect for remodeling work to Buntingsdale Hall and that he was also the architect for Christ Church just across the road from the school building. With H. Tayleur being named a manager of the school around the time of its opening and the similarity of the building to other national schools built by Samuel Pountney Smith we're wondering if we actually have one of his 'lost' works. The school building itself is on Buntingsdale Road just over a mile from Buntingsdale Hall.