Author Topic: Barnoldswick parish records  (Read 5583 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barnoldswick parish records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

thought this was familiar  ;) just a bit on this thread re the family

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,415123.0.html

1841 and 1851 mentioned.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Heywood  :)

It would appear from that  Henry was born in Lancashire .
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 22:39 GMT (UK) »
From what I recall, the family were manufacturers or something I think. Perhaps there was a will which may give a few clues.

Offline jeanburton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born in England. Live in Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 November 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help The trouble is this family seem to change their names when they feel like it.  Also their place of birth.  I think that Norman has an alias anyway.  You have given me food for thought. I will soldier on. If you come across anything else let me know Thanks Jean
Bannister Derby Burton on Trent
Borrington Derby
Orme Litchfield
Randall Burntwood Staffordshire
Berrisford Derby

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 November 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
The problem is (I think ) that there are two Norman Knowles in 1871  one born 1826 -the Henry and Sarah Firth one (again it's just my thinking) and one born 1830 who is a hawker which often presents problems in cases of registration etc.

Does this Norman ever show up again?  I know it says that Harriet is a widow in 1881 but  :-\

Do the children's birth certificates all have the father as Norman? I'm aswering my own questions here - just seen Family Search with the children's baptism- so yes he does have Norman  :-\ 
The last child was baptised July 1879 so, assuming he was present, there would be a period of  about eighteen months for his death before 1881 census.

There are other groups of Knowles around Settle area - however no Norman.

heywood

Offline Malcolm Wilton-Jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
For the record Barnoldswick was in Yorkshire (West Riding) until the boundary changes of 1972, when it was swallowed up by Lancashire, hence all the old BMD records and census forms will show Yorkshire but most of the transcriptions were done after the changes and many transcribers have changed it to Lancashire.
Some transcribers made huge errors when trying to read the old handwriting and got surnames hopelessly wrong which makes them difficult to find. For small villages I just search for the exact village name and get to see all the records for the village for each year, then use occupations and childrens' ages to match up families. Young girls often became servants for nearby families and young boys followed the fathers footsteps.
Actual Parish records have a lot more information than what is transcribed so it is worth studying them in detail. One of my GGGGrandmothers took the children for baptism and gave her address as living at the bottom of the fish market! Such was life 200 years ago.