Author Topic: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 09 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again shellyesq,

This is fantastic, - all that I've had to go on for years was that photo!

And I only found out that they'd gone to the US when I couldn't find them on the 1911 Census for Wales...

I do hope that some of them settled down & raised families, - it would be amazing to find some living cousins ;D ;D

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 October 09 13:28 GMT (UK) »
These are in the "it might be a stretch, but maybe them" category:

Wright's Milwaukee City Directory from 1940 -
Phillips, Evan R. (wife Rose) salesman, home - 4566 N. 31st St., apt. 4
Phillips, David A. (wife Celia) machinist American Gear & Parts Corp., home - 3444 N. 17th, apt. 5

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »

Bless you shellyesq,

I'm absolutely thrilled at all of this progress :)

I just wish that there was someone left alive who I could ask for more info...but sadly, my late Uncle William Havelock Wilson died in 1974. These were his first cousins, & he would have grown up alongside them in Swansea, & presumably kept in touch with them. Towards the end of his life, he did try to talk to me a bit about his family history, but sadly, I was a student in the 1970's & not of the age when you become interested in such things! How I wish that I could turn back the clock & spend some time with him now :'( :'(

Such is life I suppose...

Thank you so much for your help,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 October 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »

I've found a Death Entry for Evan Phillips on the LDS Site:

Evan PHILLIPS      Birth Date: 27 Mar 1888      Death Date: Dec 1972     
Social Security Number:  388-05-9111     
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued:  Wisconsin   
 Death Residence Localities     ZIP Code: 53205      Localities:  Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I'm wondering...can I trace a Marriage for him via that Social Security Number?
Romilly.
Researching:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so.  The Social Security program is federal.  Marriages are held on the state or town level.  I've never seen anything where you could search by Social Security number except for the Social Security Death Index. 

Unless something happens to pop up online, you would probably need to know where and roughly when he married to get a marriage record.  You might want to try to get an obituary for him - it might give survivors or, on rare occasions, a wedding date.  It looks like there is a volunteer listed here under All Counties who will do obit look-ups for Wisconsin:  http://www.roagk.org/wisconsi.htm

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so.  The Social Security program is federal.  Marriages are held on the state or town level.  I've never seen anything where you could search by Social Security number except for the Social Security Death Index. 

Unless something happens to pop up online, you would probably need to know where and roughly when he married to get a marriage record.  You might want to try to get an obituary for him - it might give survivors or, on rare occasions, a wedding date.  It looks like there is a volunteer listed here under All Counties who will do obit look-ups for Wisconsin:  http://www.roagk.org/wisconsi.htm

What a great site! I've submitted a request for an Obituary Look-up, - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Romilly :)
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 October 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
These are in the "it might be a stretch, but maybe them" category:
Wright's Milwaukee City Directory from 1940 -
Phillips, Evan R. (wife Rose) salesman, home - 4566 N. 31st St., apt. 4
Phillips, David A. (wife Celia) machinist American Gear & Parts Corp., home - 3444 N. 17th, apt. 5

Looks like the first one was correct shellyesq, :D

I have now recieved an Obituary, (curtesy of the site that you recommended).

I'm unsure how to proceed from here... ???...but I guess that a start might be to look for a Marriage for Evan Rees Phillips and Rose (née Schiltz) & then a Birth Entry for their daughter (*)
? (Do I need to start a new thread for this?)

Romilly.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Researching:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 October 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I had to remove the obituary, because it seems that some of the people mentioned in it are likely still living.  I'll see if I can find anything and send it to you via PM.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 October 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I had to remove the obituary, because it seems that some of the people mentioned in it are likely still living.  I'll see if I can find anything and send it to you via PM.

Apologies shellyesq,

I was forgetting about the 'living people' issues on here... :-[

Many Thanks for your PM, - lots of leads to keep me busy!

Best Wishes, Romilly :)
Researching: