Author Topic: Elizabeth Scott, b Alloa 1843  (Read 10394 times)

Offline majaru

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Scott, b Alloa 1843
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Scott was my great grandmother and married Daniel Rossiter Rudduck in New Zealand.
They had at least 5 children: James (my grandfather), Lilias (d. at 9 months) Eliza, William, Mary, and Charles.
James married Elvina de la Haye (d. 1904) children William b. 1898, Elsie b. 1901. then married Jeannie Hunter Martin, Children Fred, Allan, Ivan, Arthur Scott (d. 5 weeks) Arthur James (my father), and Ella.

William's (b.1898) son is Rossiter Scott Rudduck so the names have been carried on.

Elizabeth's son William married Kathleen Roche Martin, Jeannie's sister.

Offline kevs005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 February 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello majaru,

Apologies for not replying to your post before now but I don't seem to have had much time for family history recently!

Thanks for your information.  From what you say I guess we must be related some how!

Does the information you know about your great grandmother agree with the information posted earlier in this thread?  I would love to know more about her, especially when she may have emigrated to New Zealand.

My family have been in contact with your late Uncle Alan's family for many years.  Indeed it was a visit by Alan to this country and his search for information about where the Rudducks originated from that sparked off my mother's interest (and then mine!) in the family history.  We had the pleasure of meeting Alan and Anne on several occasions when they visited this country and also when my wife and I went out to New Zealand almost 20 years ago now. We are still in touch with Alan's daughters and hope to be able to visit again some day!

With regard to your information about Jeannie Hunter Martin and Kathleen Roche Martin, were they sisters from the same marriage or from different marriages?

Daniel Rossiter Rudduck was my Half GGG Uncle. I have been trying to find out more about his life in this country before he emigrated to New Zealand but so far with limited success.  See
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bdtar3ngkhnuo0lddu5mqojfv7&topic=412950.0

I would be very grateful to hear about any further information you may have.

Best wishes.

Kevin Starley.

Offline majaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Kevin

Thanks so much for your reply. My cousin John got me started looking into the family history and I have many questions perhaps for another time.

From your description I expect you are a descendant of Thomas Edmund and Lucy. John recently sent a picture of him with son George and grandson George taken c1910.

I have no information on Elizabeth's arrival and the records are sketchy (surnames only unless first class). You may be interested in the following links.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NOT18941103.2.8&srpos=1&e=-------10-NOT-1----0ruddock--

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NOT18770413.2.17&srpos=2&e=-------10-NOT-1----0ruddock--

I also have a possible reason for Daniel and brothers enlistment under an alias before Crimea (I read your posting with interest), a marriage for George in 1851 and an elder brother for George son of Thomas and Frances. Also information about his brother Charles (married Mercy Rossiter, sister of Eliza) and their many descendants in the USA.

Jeannie and Kathleen were born two years apart but no official record, only their recorded ages at death. So can't confirm their relationship. My Gran Jeannie lived till 1962 when I was 5 so I have a memory of her. I have occasional contact with Allan and Ann's family and spent time with Ann, when she lived in the same city. My siblings and I attended Ann's funeral in Oamaru in 2008. My mother Lesley turns 80 March 7th and is the only surviving Rudduck spouse.

Kind regards
Martyn James Rudduck