Author Topic: Diamond family  (Read 5411 times)

Offline maureenms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diamond family
« on: Tuesday 27 October 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed for the pictures of St mary's in Ballerin, and I do have fond memories of st columba's school. I am still in search of my grandfather's brother dennis diamond of Dungiven. THat was my grandfather as my grandmother was a mullen. How would one go about searching for his emigration records to Philadelphia? I have no idea what year he left with my grandfather daniel, or if they went through Ellis island, but while Dan returned to Ringsend and bought the family farm, Dennis disappeared and we have been trying to ascertain what happened to him  for years.

Moderator's Comment: Post split from this topic:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,338374.0.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Earlier posts from Hnery thread-
my grandmother sarah ( saraid) Henry married dan diamond and lived in ringsend co derry. I am looking for their birthplaces and parents. sarah died around 1981 and is buried with dan her husband in st mary' s churchyard bellerin, derry

Welcome to Rootschat. The information you want to find is very recent (remember not to give details of living people here) and there are lots of Henry and Diamonds in the area so you'll need to start by checking their birth certificates for names of parents and birthplaces (townlands) to start with and then other sources like church records, 1911 census, etc.

Maureen,
              on 18 May Daniel Diamond married Sarah Gertrude Henry in Garvagh RC Church.

In the 1911 census there is
Bridget Henry  Ballyrogan (Glenkeen) Co.Londonderry a 50 year old widowed farmer. Married 20 yrs
Anne Mary     19
Hugh Joseph  17
Richard John  16
Catherine Agnes 14
Sarah Gertrude  12

On 2 Apr 1891 Hugh Henry married Bridget Higgins in Garvagh RC Church . These are likely to be Sarah's parents but this would need to be confirmed.

Regards

hi amazing that is indeed them. Hugh jr died on the day he came from a ww2 german POW camp in the US - killed by a train, so sad. Sarah thee is my grandmother. Is there any way to find out my grandfather's parents and town of birth- I forget the birth/ death date on the grave in Bellerin ( I lived with my grandmother every summer in Derry growing up)
Richard, annie , passed away Richard, in Brooklyn, and Annie in Portrush when she returend after a lifetime in America so that is them.

My grandather had a brother dennis diamond who emigrated to Philadelphia , but Dan returned and bought the farm from the money he made with dennis working on the railroad in Pennsylvania. And to show your work is so life changing - I found a cousin I never knew I had yesterday through info on our grandmother LIzzie Callahan.

If you have any info on Daniel and Dennis Diamond I would be so grateful ( his parents names , DOB) he is buried in the St MAry's churchyard in Bellerin with my grandfather but I think he dies somwhere between 1930-1950
thank you so much@! :)

You'll need either your grandmother's birth certificate or church record of her baptism to get names of both parents. Boleran records aren't online but index to civil registration is- you can look up birth in index then order the certificate.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Details on ordering N.I. certificates here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.0.html

Maureen,
              With your reply I have reviewed my original post and noticed that I missed the year of Daniel and Sarah Gertrude's marriage. It was 1920. Will have a look for any other information.
Regards
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Maureen,
              I am having difficulty locating Bellerin. I am aware of the area known as Bellarena but the RC Church there is St. Aidans. It is in the north of Co. Londonderry bordering on Lough Foyle. Can you or another help?
Regards

Ballerin [Boleran] is on the road from Ringsend to Garvagh,
it is a small village built near a chapel.

There are quite a few spellings but it's not a village although there are some more new houses built nearby.

Gortinanima, Aghadowey,
                        Thanks for the directions, I can see it on the Ordnance Survey map with the church on the right as I drive from Ringsend to Garvagh.
Regards

:) When I was growing up there I called it the Irish outback. It is indeed between Garvagh and  Dungiven. The church  on  Bellerin road I think ,before you get to Bradley's general store.

THx This is St Mary's Ballerin, where my grandparents are buried:
http://www.northcoastni.com/filestore/downloads/garvagh-booka.pdf

Here's some pictures of St. Mary's (on Boleran Road)-
www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/C8019
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Maureen,
               I have reviewed my posting on the Diamond thread of 5 Oct 2009 and the birth year of Rose Ann Diamond should read 1873 and not 1874.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gabriel.D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 March 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Maureen,

My name is Dan Diamond my grandmother was Sarah Diamond of 40 Belraugh Road, Ringsend, Co. Derry. she died on 6th July 1983 aged 83 years. She was married to Daniel Diamond who died early 1961. Both are burried at Ballerin St. Marys RC Church, along with Ernest, Agnes etc. My dad's name is Dennis Diamond

Offline maureenms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
 :) i gabriel I am your cousin ( Eileen)
maureen

Offline Gabriel.D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Your uncle Dan is being buried tomorrow 16th March in England, he died on 26th Feb. that is all the boys of the family are dead now.

Offline maureenms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Gabriel  I know we tried to get over but too $$$

Offline wittstruck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if this Diamond family of Dungiven has any YDNA recorded?  There is a project group at Family Tree DNA (ftdna.com) for the Diamond surname.  There are several Daniel Diamonds that emigrated to America very early.  After doing some research in Ireland last year I suspect my line may have roots in Dungiven.  My father's YDNA is on file at ftdna.com.  I would love to confirm a match with your family if possible.  I hope you receive this message and will reply.  Thank you.  Nancy Wittstruck