Author Topic: Army Barracks in Roscommon (MOON)  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Juliet22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Army Barracks in Roscommon (MOON)
« on: Wednesday 09 March 05 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there was an Army Barracks in the area around Athlone or Athleage in the 1800s?
Or has anyone any knowledge of a MOON family from the same area. I have a hunch that, as Moon is not an Irish name, they would have come to the area for a reason.
Cheers
Juliet
 :-\
Bibby, Dunn, Sanderson, Tyrer (in  Lancashire)
Evans, Peers (in Cheshire) Neil (in Cumbria)
Shilton ( in Berkshire) Gravatt, Kille, Curtis (in Middlesex)
Ansell, Kille (in Hants)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Army Barracks in Roscommon (MOON)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jullet22,
     Yes the ary barracks have been in Athlone for ages. click on this link. http://www.athlonecc.ie/athlonehist.html

Sorry I don't know about the moon family. Wasn't he the drummer for The Who ;D

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Juliet22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Army Barracks in Roscommon (MOON)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Cheers for the Athlone site, Deadants!
This is a friend's family that I am researching here.  We had a George Moon who married Julia QUINN, both from Roscommon and last seen in 1857 in when they had thier first son in Manchester.  Cannot find a marriage in the UK so it was probably in Ireland but I do not know where.
I have a possible birth for George and that is 1834 at Athlone, son of Robert Moon and Margaret DOLAN.
Just had a feeling that the Barracks may have been the reason that Robert was there as moon is certainly not a common name in Roscommon.
Juliet22
  :)
Bibby, Dunn, Sanderson, Tyrer (in  Lancashire)
Evans, Peers (in Cheshire) Neil (in Cumbria)
Shilton ( in Berkshire) Gravatt, Kille, Curtis (in Middlesex)
Ansell, Kille (in Hants)