Author Topic: Defoe Marriage Lookup BC, CANADA  (Read 8122 times)

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
  • at it since 1977, what a difference internet makes
    • View Profile
Defoe Marriage Lookup BC, CANADA
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 02:59 GMT (UK) »
i just couldn't figure where to post this. if this is incorrect area, please forgive me.

Having trouble finding any more info on my grandfather Leo (or Leon) Defoe. He was born 1914 in Revelstoke and died 1983 in Minitonas Manitoba.

His father was Nunzio Defoe born 1882 and died 1921. Mother was Jeanie born 1882. Sister Seraphim born 1908 and brother Celister born 1910 as shown on 1911 Census for Revelstoke.

I looked for marriage of Nunzio and Jeannie but could not find anything.

I was wondering if anyone could find  marriage registration for Nunzio Defoe and Giovannina Maria aka Jeannie which just may show where in Italy he was born. From Jeannie’s obit she was born in San Stefano del Sole Italy Nov 1, 1884. She immigrated in 1897 so obviously came with her parents and was already here before he came.  But I don’t know her surname to trace her immigrating.

I have found that Nunzio b.1882 had another son named Nunzio who became a Roman Catholic priest. He was born 1921 and died 2005.  There was also two daughters Sara (could be Seraphim) and Celesta and a son Edmund who died in 1921 at age 3 (according to BC Death records)

BC Death records also show a Baby Defoe dying Dec 24, 1910 in Revelstoke which could very well be Celister (see top).
Also a daughter Margaret dying in Revelstoke 1919 at age 5 (b.1914).  Just wonder if Margaret could be twin of Leo my grandfather.

There are several other Defoes in the the Revelstoke area and one can only assume that they are connected but until I know more I cannot link them. 

The year of immigration for Nunzio Defoe b.1882 was it looks like 1900 but could be 1904. I looked various shipslists and finally found a record and ships manifest for a Nunzio DeFoe but the birth year is incorrect...tho I could very well be the grandfather of Leo Defoe.

Anything anyone can find to help me would be appreciated!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Defoe Marriage CANADA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello shaw.shoo :)

The marriage can be found in the BC Marriage Records with the following spelling......

Nuntio Defeo
Govanina Colacurcio
13 Jun 1907 in Revelstoke

A moderator will probably transfer this request to the Canada Board......there are very kind chatters  :)  on that board who regularly offer to look up the BC records for folks.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
excellent polarbear....you work miracles cuz i tried but could not find anything. but i was going with Nunzio...so maybe that is why.
now i have a surname for his wife. many many thanks!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
as you can see there also were others with the surname or derivatives...
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/07ea/

If you use the modify button and add B.C. lookup to your first topic someone will do that lookup...
which is also in this link for those who are looking...

This might be your bride with parents in 1901...If so you have parents and a date of birth, and the surname of Celeste as that top birth in the link I gave you is Maria's
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=13227&highlight=3
father is on previous page...a Defoe also on page http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=13226

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07eb/
The previous page of the 1901 census with the father listed at the bottom of the page.
Debbie

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Defoe Marriage BC, CANADA
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 02:39 GMT (UK) »
many thanks to you both. i just don't know what i do wrong...i was on automated genealogy but could not find what i wanted. guess i didn't search broad enough.

this is such a great find. now i will try to find when they immigrated.

and all the info on BC Archives....thank you thank you. again...i have been there but did not find all the info you provided. you must have magic fingers.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Defoe Marriage BC, CANADA
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the census images...Franc says immigrated in 1888, Celestra says 1886
children in 1896...so did they return to Italy and have the chilf
and all naturalized in 1897... ( look at images from censuses for more info...)
( National Registration File of 1940 costs  $ but it might have place of birth for both parents)

Don't forget to add marriage"Lookup" to the subject line...and you can also ask that if they match the census entry if they can also look into the sister's birth...

also let them know if you need the death information for Francesco & Celestra Colacurcio in Revelstoke..
also in above rootschat link reply#3

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Defoe Marriage Lookup BC, CANADA
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I can look up the BC registrations for you.  Can you post a list of all the look ups you want?  Or is it just the parents' marriage and the two children's deaths on the Defoe side you're after?

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Defoe Marriage Lookup BC, CANADA
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 01:20 GMT (UK) »
hello lemon mallie
Thanks for your kind offer. I am interested in any Defoe births,marriages and deaths in the Revelstoke area.  They are surely related in some manner and by spreading out there is a chance of finding out more information. 

I have been on the BC Registration site myself and have a list of all the Defoe's vital info...I just don't know if or how they are connected to each other.

What i need to do is contact Revelstoke for more information. either the cemetery, funeral home, catholic church, phone directories etc. 

The Colacurcio family found in Revelstoke by JJ is a real bonus. Would you look up that surname also. All that are in that area?

thanks for your assistance.