Author Topic: im new n need help looking for someone  (Read 13448 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: im new n need help looking for someone
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 October 09 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Bit More

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,399.0.html

This is the link to the main Australian Resources Board here at RChat...  I tend to use many of the links available on that Board to find the indexed information and then I try to find the official records that either confirm or disprove my findings...

As you are located in Sydney, then there's some very good research facilities quite handy to you....  Perhaps a visit to the Parramatta Heritage Centre and a chat with the archivist upstairs who will be able to direct you to their archives ....  they were fantastic when I got there several years ago...

Many cheers

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 October 09 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Umm,

Bit More,

1822 Muster has an Elizabeth LEITH on it but she was BORN in the Colony, and aged 6, and living with Harriet LEITH ex the convict ship Maria....

This may indicate there were several females named Elizabeth LEITH, for afterall I have also read on that link from Julie where the poster on that site notes "In the 1822 Muster George is listed as living in Baulkham Hills with Elizabeth Leith, also a convict.".... but I have gone through my 1822 Muster records and cannot find supporting info... Sorry.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 April 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
Very interesting reading all the info about George Ham. I have recently come across him in England before he was transported. He was “co-habiting” with a Jane Peters, and they had an illegitimate daughter, Matilda Jane, baptised at St Leonard’s, Shoreditch in 1800 with the surname Ham. Jane appears in Poor Law Removal and Settlement Orders in January 1801 needing help as George had been transported, but the Overseers and Churchwardens in St Leonard’s passed her back to the Parish of Old Windsor in Berks, where she had previously been employed as a nursery maid.
In 1828 Matilda is baptised again with the surname Peters in Thames Ditton, along with her two illegitimate children Richard and Emma. Their reputed father is George Danvers Jenkins, a gentleman, who marries Matilda in 1831, then they have two more children, Catherine and Robert. On George and Matilda’s marriage record, her father’s occupation is given as Watchmaker, which doesn’t fit with the transportation records where he’s described as a Labourer, but as Matilda had never met him, she probably didn’t know much about him, and I gather that information about paternal occupations was quite often glamourised!!
Emma Jenkins carries on the family tradition by having two children with William Riley Stanford in 1848 and 1849, then marries him in 1856!
I have also seen on some other Trees that George Ham- (I’m not entirely certain it’s the same one at the moment)-had a marriage in England to an Anne, and some children with her, before he was with Jane Peters.