Author Topic: How can I open a GEDcom file?  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How can I open a GEDcom file?
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful for any advice.
I have searched this board for GED.com topics but most of the discussion seems to have been advanced about differing software. My problem is very basic.
I've built both my husband's and my own tree on G.R., but would like to have copies of them on my own computer.
I've followed the instructions from G.R. about export and they both e-mailed to my Inbox, but as soon as I click on them it tells me it's an 'Unknown File Type' and a pop-up comes up telling me it's an 'This file does not have a programme associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder options control panel'.
I'm afraid that means nothing to me, and I have no idea what I should have done / should do now.
I tried saving my husband's to My Documents and opening then but I just ended up being directed to a US site that wanted me to register for $29.99 for some new software.
I am on standard Outlook 6, and on Windows. Everything I have read here leads me to think they should have opened automatically?

Any and all ideas and suggestions gratefully welcome,
Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I open a GEDcom file?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

First let me make clear I'm no expert but suggest the 'free' software GENViewer Lite available from;

http://www.mudcreeksoftware.com/

Think this might do what you want.

Jo
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Maggie,

If you're using XP, then right click on the GED file, move the arrow to Open With, and select either your own Family Tree software, or another program like Wordpad.

If you use Wordpad then all you will see is a list, and you'll have to pick the details out yourself.

I don't know if Vista works in the same way.

'Hat

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much!

Jolyon, I downloaded the GenViewer Lite and it only took a moment or so. Couldn't quite work out what to do after that though.. (us old ladies are allowed to be luddites)

Roger (love the Hat) I then right clicked and instead of beating my head on the brick wall clicking on 'open' clicked on 'open with' as you said, and there was the GenViewer Lite.

Being rather naive I'd vaguely thought it would open looking as it did in GR, and instead of which it's individual line entries and not a tree, but the main thing is I have captured all the information.

I'm very grateful to both of you for such a quick response and the easy to follow Idiot's Guides!

Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
You could download the free 'paf' family history software from here, and also the associated 'companion' which makes the trees.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

The free companion only prints three generations, but for a couple of s you can get the full version, which is quite versatile.  There's a good help system as well.

On the paf go to file- import and import your gedcom.  then to tools for the companion for the initial three generations, start with any name.  You can play about with the settings for different layouts, colours, fonts, inclusions of siblings etc etc
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - having 400 odd people with all sorts of details stuck on the GR website, however good, was worrying me.  I wanted to know I still had the details should a site crash, and now with the GenViewer Lite I know at least I've got all the text.

I'll give your suggestion a go as well as it would be nice to be able to put them into a tree (visually) as well.

Maggie 1895

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
It's always best to have your tree on your own computer, and add/change it there, and then export it to wherever you want, GR or tribal pages etc.   Tribal pages is also free.
Always make a copy as well, put a copy on a memory stick perhaps.   But a lot of people use tribal pages
http://tribalpages.com/
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I will,   I just hope I'm not the only technophobe out there and this has helped someone else as well!

Maggie 1895

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Has anyone an ancestor who looks similar to this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Legacy 7 is good and that has a free download too.  Don't go for the de luxe version as you are a beginner.

However, the default for most of the family tree programs suggested won't be like GR, but show up the main person (you or your husband for instance) and the next or previous generations.  You can show them as a tree, as per GR, but it is not the default position.