Author Topic: West Indies - Estates 'Overseer'  (Read 3096 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
West Indies - Estates 'Overseer'
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have unfortunately just found a 'West Indies Estates Overseer' in my partner's family called Alexander Merchant. He was born in 1791 in Edinburgh.

I actually feel a bit sick.
I thought that our families were just full of poor Scots folk and never thought I would ever find a connection with the slave trade. :(

But now that I have found him, I want to know more. Can anyone suggest where I can search?

Tx

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies - Estates 'Overseer'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I have done a few searches but it is hard unless you can be more specific about where in the West Indies he was located.
The name is also difficult to search for because you cannot easily eliminate 'merchant' as an occupation.
Let's say you plump for Jamaica as a good first guess.
You can search http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/ and if it looks promising you can retrieve references for a small fee.
Good luck.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I realised when doing some google searching on Alexander that Merchant wasnt the best surname to have.

I will have a browse. I suppose I have to eliminate him country by country.

Thanks Again
Tx

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
As the slave trade to British Colonies had ceased by 1810 it is unlikely that he was involved in that.  However as many of the slaves in the West Indies were not freed until the 1830s it is possible that he was overseeing slaves.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Sparkle, I have just found a similar situation in my wife's tree relating to the slave trade. I will pass on to you what I have told her, Though I find the slave trade completely and totally abhorrent, I believe that it is difficult if not impossible to objectively judge the morality of one period in history by that of another (usually the present). The one's who practise and condone slavery and exploitation today are the those we should really abhor.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I've not found anything yet but thanks everyone for your help.

David - I did wonder about timescales relating to slavery. As Alexander was in Edinburgh for the birth of his child Jane in 1828. It is on Jane's death certificate in 1908 that her father was a 'West Indian Estates Overseer'.

I can't find Alexander's or his wife Elizabeth Deans death certificate, so I am now wondering if they died abroad.

Redroger - any information you can pass on is appreciated. I have pm'd you my email address.

Thanks again
Tracey

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Read your pm before I saw this. The people I'm interested in were named Crossley from Penistone West Riding, the relevant  dates are from c1800-1880.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I found slave returns on line for Orange Plantation,  Trinidad for 1826 and 1827 listing the number of slaves and births and deaths.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire