Author Topic: W. N. Nicholson's Ironworks Firm, Newark  (Read 19776 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
W. N. Nicholson's Ironworks Firm, Newark
« on: Thursday 29 October 09 01:22 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that my gg grandfather Harry Frecknall worked at W. N. Nicholson's Ironwork Firm in Newark in the 1920s. I think this firm made agricultural machinery. However I don't know much about Nicholson's and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the firm? Also, would it be possible that any records still exist for workers at Nicholson's?

Thanks!
Alexander

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: W. N. Nicholson's Ironworks Firm, Newark
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Nicholsons closed in the 1960s. The building is still there I believe it is now converted to housing.It is a beautiful building by the side of the Trent and has a clocktower. It was a foundry producing agricultural machinery.
I found a Harry Frecknall on the 1911 he was living in Norwell aged 36 and he was a foundry labourer- so that fits nicely.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur for your response. I was also slightly surprised that Harry was listed as a foundry worker in 1911. This is the list of baptisms of his children which nicely shows how his occupation changed:

1898 - Labourer
1899 - Labourer
1902 - Engine Driver
1904 - Engine Driver
1906 - Labourer
1909 - Sawyer
1911 - Sawyer
1915 - Foundry Machine Worker
1917 - Foundry Machine Worker

I don't know if Harry was working at Nicholson's at that point or if he just worked there later. Though he did seem to keep changing his occupation. I suppose since he was working in the agricultural machine firm during WWI he did not have to serve.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline belarusman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
just found your conversation about the nicholson iron works, after googleing the name. I found an old seed rill in the corner of a field, while on a walk near Hungarton in Leicestershire, and this had the nicholson of newark name cast on the wheel. I would say that the drill was about 100 years old and horse drawn. I hope this is of interest toyou, as you can see i am interested in farm machinery myself. belarusman

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi belarusman,

Welcome to RootsChat! :)

It's been quite a while since I looked for information about Nicholson's ironworks. Unfortunately I don't know much more about the person I was researching (Harry Frecknall) and what he might have done at the iron works. Though he only did labourer type jobs, I don't think it was particularly "skilled" work.

Its interesting that you could still see that the drill was from Nicholsons if it had been left out in a field for many years. A while ago I did a bit of research into the Nicholson family of Newark just to find more about the firm. I think that William N. Nicholson had first built the works in the 1840s, and as larkspur said lasted well over a century. I wonder if it was still run by the family by the 1920s and later.

Regards,
Alexander

Offline chris42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I know a Trevor Frecknall who lives in North Muskham about 5 miles from Norwell who i believe originally came from Norwell .He could be related.
Chris42

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Yes, he is related - Trevor is my granddad's cousin. He happens to be grandson of the Harry Frecknall who worked at Nicholson's. I was in touch with Trevor a while back.

Alexander

Offline chris42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexander
Glad you have got in touch with Trevor,he is a good bloke I went to school with his son and daughter so I have known him for a good many years. He has just wrote a book about Brian Clough and its on sale in a Newark bookshop.
Chris

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Take-a-look-at-Newark-as-seen-in-1942

On the Newark Advertiser site there is a video link, featuring the town in 1942. Nicholsons is on it.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley