Author Topic: Feshiebridge  (Read 19063 times)

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Feshiebridge
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Before the Grants worked at Freshiebridge they lived in Croftbeg where they had a son Lewis born 28 sep 1799
spacot

Offline craj11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Greetings.

I am tracing my wife’s ancestors Alexander and Betsy Grant and children Jane (1837), Betsy (1838), John (1840), James (1841) and Catharine Dury (1843) who arrived in Portland, Victoria, Australia on 19 Feb 1855 on the Athletae from Birkenhead. There was an Isabelle or Isabella Grant (1835) on the same ship who was grouped with them on the muster.

Alexander Grant was b 11 April 1811 at Rothiemoon, parish of Abernethy & Kincardine. He was a carpenter who was living at the Feshie Saw Mill on 15 Dec 1836 when he married Betsy/Bessie Grant, daughter of Murdoch Grant, also resident at the sawmill.

I don’t have any more details on Betsy/Bessie or Murdoch Grant

There is a Rothiemoon Farm at Nethy Bridge which I have concluded is the Rothiemoon referred to.

Alexander’s parents were John Grant, a farmer & Jean Geddes/Giddis/Gatus – marriage date and place unknown

Alexander’s siblings were
-Charles b 13 April 1800 at Rothiemoon
-Elspit b19 may 1805 at Rothiemoon
-James b 1808 at Rothiemoon (bap 13 May)
- possibly, John Grant b 1 Feb 1796 baptised in Cromdale & Inverellan

In 1841 I can’t make out where the family was living (Alexander’s mother Jean was with them), but the adjoining properties on the census look like Keppoch, Dalnavert and Drimlochan

In 1851 the family was at Croftbeg

I realise that there are many strands to the Grant families, but I does any of the above fit with any other Grant researchers out there who might be able to fill in some gaps for me? We are planning to visit the area later this year and any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard Holliday
Sydney

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Richard, you might try a enquiry at the Macpherson Museum, it's their patch.

http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/

Skoosh.

Offline Seraya17Marg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Feshiebridge
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 January 15 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh, In 2010 on this site, you mentioned a wee book on Invereshie which lists Laggan tenants.
My gggrandfather John Grant, farmer aged 24 was mentioned.  I would love to know if there was any more info on him or especially his parents Peter & Mary Grant.  He came to Sydney then 6 months later went to Melbourne & lived there at Campbellfield and Tullamarine plus..
Any info on them would be much appreciated.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Seraya, I shall have a look for this wee book. Do I still have it I ask myself.  :)

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Seraya,  found it!  ;D

Emigrants to Australia on St George from Oban, 4th July 1838, a long journey by carts to Fort William, then by steamboat to Oban. the passengers departed from Kingussie in mid-summer on the day of St Columba's Fair, (Latha Feill Challuim Cille).
Apparently much weeping & wailing at the fair in Kingussie at their departure.
 The St George carried 326 passengers, more than a third of these left from Kingussie, two adults & eight children died on the voyage & five births, 3 female & 2 male, which ended at Sydney on 13 November 1838. Most of the Kingussie contingent were tenants on the Invereshie estate of Sir John MacPherson Grant of Ballindalloch who had raised the rents to such a level as made emigration the only practical option, (rack-renting). As far as I can make out the only other Rothiemurchus tenant was an Alexander Taylor 27, farm servant, can read Gaelic, father James Taylor gardeners laboured, mother Anne, engaged by Mr Hoshing, Sydney £25 a year, with rations. The Rothiemurchus laird was Grant of Rothiemurchus. For an insight into how things stood on that estate & the lives of the people, see "Memoirs of a Highland Lady" by Elizabeth Grant of Rothiemurchus, which were written in the 1840/50s.
Hope this is of some use,

Bests,

Skoosh.

1838, John Grant,  24 farmer, can read & write, Rothiemurchus, father Peter Grant, farmer, Rothiemurchus, mother Mary Grant. Engaged by Mr Hoshing, Sydney, waged £12.10/- with rations, term, 6 months.

Offline Seraya17Marg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Feshiebridge
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 January 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, thank you so much for that info on John Grant.
Seraya

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 January 15 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Seraya, these lairds social asperations & lifestyle were generally not matched by their income, hence the rack-renting of the tenants to try and close the gap. The Grants still have Rothiemurchus but in the early 19th century the estate was burdened by debt. The Rothiemurchus people supplimented their agricultural income by felling the Scots pine and floating rafts of timber down the Spey where there was a shipyard & sawmill.
 Your ancestor and young Taylor obviously set off for Oz together, a few years later came the famine in the Highlands & Ireland when emigration became a flood. My own Grant ancestor was a George Grant in Ross-shire who according to rellies there was originally from Rothiemurchus, so we might even be related?   ;D it's one of my brick walls.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh, one correction. Invereshie has always been a property of the Macphersons, not the Grants. These merged when George Macpherson of Invereshie inherited Ballindalloch in Strathspey and became Sir George Macpherson-Grant, Baronet. His son was Sir John Macpherson-Grant of Invereshie and Ballindalloch and apparently this is the Laird that raised the rents. This is NOT, however, the same family as the Grants of Rothiemurchus nor any connection to woman who wrote Memoirs of a Highland Lady.