Author Topic: McNab  (Read 23191 times)

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McNab
« on: Friday 30 October 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been searching for years and finally found where my ggrandfather came from in Scotland. I was just wondering if there is anyone researching this family as well, as I'm sure there are McNabs in the same area still. The spelling of some names is dubious as they always misspell one or the other.

Robert McNab…b. 1757 B. Perthshire.
Son:
Robert McNab…..b 1792 Blair Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland
Flesher(Butcher) in 1841 Fender Bridge Blair Atholl, later Agricultural Labourer.

Wife: Isabel McGlashan b. 1798 Blair Atholl.

Children:-

John Stewart McNab b. 1819

Robert McNab b. 1821

Peter McNab b. 1823  M. Catherine Robertson, children: Jane, George, John, Thomas & Christina, & Charlotte from previous marriage.

Isobal McNab b. 1825

Alexander McNab b. 1827

James McNab b. 1830

Chirstain McNab b. 1831

Thomas McNab b. 1833… a brother who maybe died.

Thomas McNab b. 1839,  Born Blair Athol, Perthshire, Scotland. Married Leonora Warner Clarke 1872 West Derby, Liverpool. . Died Aged 77, 1917 (from old age) Wallasey, UK.  (My ggrandfather).

I would be grateful for any information.
Cheers
Andrea

Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)
Gallop/Southwood/Northcott/Rowland(Somerset-Gloucestershire)

Offline Kycowboy41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNab
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I too am looking for information on the McNab family. In particular ...

Alexander McIntosh who was born about 1742-4, at Dull Perthshire Scotland and married on 8 April 1763, in Logierait, Perth, Grizel ( Grissel ) McNab, who was born on 18 March 1744 in Logierait Perth Scotland, and had issue a son John b. 9 May 1764 Moulin Parish , chr. 11 May 1764 at Dunkeld Perth. Grizel's parents were Adam McNab and Catharin ( Catherine ) Robertson.

John McIntosh, son of Alexander McIntosh and Grizel MacNab, b. 9 May 1764 Moulin Parish , c 11 May 1764 at Dunkeld Perth, alias Mackintosh, married 2 Feb, 1784, Isobel ( or Isabel ) Cameron b. 22 Aug 1764 and christened, Moulin Parish, 25 or 26 August 1764, daughter of James Camron ( or Cameron ) and Elspeth Fergusson. From this marriage there appears to have been five children, Isobel b. 19 Nov 1784, Patrick b. 15 January  1786, Alexander b. 14 September 1788, Janet chr. 02 September 1792 and William b. 30 December 1795, all in Moulin Parish.

Any information you have that may tie in the McNab lines would be helpful.

Kenneth McIntosh Kentucky USA

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 09 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have seen Grissel mentioned on different sites, but I don't know if there is any connection. Have you emailed the North Perthshire Family History Society to see if they can help? I have all this information from them, they were most helpful.
Cheers
Andrea
Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)

Offline Morning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

We are certainly distant cousins! From what you say, you are descended from Thomas McNab and I am descended from Peter McNab, born 1823, one of his brothers - the one who married Catherine Robertson.  Some of the details I have are as follows: I know that their father was Robert Stewart McNab, born 1791 or 2 in Moulin, Perthshire and married to Isabella McGlasson (sometimes written McGlashan) 23/8/1818 in Moulin. He died in Aldernaig in Moulin 21/1/1875. Isabella died in Aldernaig 29/11/1885.

This isn't an easy family to trace. I have gone further back, but some of the vital records are missing, so it is hard to get confirmation of my findings. The middle name of Stewart must come into it at some point further back. Hope this is of interest to you.

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have had more information on the McNabs..do you have an email address I could send you info to?
I have been researching Peter's brothers, Alexander who came to Brisbane, and James who moved to NZ.
Cheers
Andrea

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 10 04:28 BST (UK) »
Re Macnab of Glasgow,
I know this is about the Perthshire branch, but I'll try anyway.
Does anyone know anything about JAMES COOKE MACNAB of Glasgow, born there in 1891, son of James Gibb Macnab, Glasgow & Lydia Cooke, Dublin.
I know he fought in WW1, and came up through the ranks to be a Lieut. in 1917. He was awarded the Military Cross for 'conspicuous gallantry' in 1917.
I think he travelled after the war, perhaps to the USA.
He would have been my father's 2nd. cousin, but they never met.
Ken Cooke

Offline Carolineje

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McNab of Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 10 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am living in South Australia and beginning to explore the McNabs but I am lost and confused. Thought you might be able to help.

I am the granddaughter of Jack MUNRO
Jack MUNRO's maternal grandmother was Margaret MCROSTIE born North Adelaide, SA
Margaret McROSTIE's fathr was Alexander MCROSTIE (b Comrie abt 1829) married Janet BUSHBY (b abt 1835 in UK somewhere?)
Alexander MCROSTIE's father was Alexander MCROSTIE (b abt 1800) who married a Sarah Janet MCNAB (b 16 Oct 1803 in Comrie)
I have Sarah Janet MCNAB's parents as John MCNAB (b abt 1760) and Janet MCLAREN (b abt 1762) from Comrie Perthshire but it is this last generation where it gets confusing as I am having trouble confirming this and finding the parents of John McNab. Can you help please? CJE

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 October 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
There appears to be two John MacNabs born in the 1750's in Comrie on the Familysearch Pilot.  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#collection=fs%3A1771030&year=1750&surname=McNab&placeId=8058331&givenName=John&searchType=close&p=recordResults&alivePlaceLoc1=Comrie%2C%20Perth%2C%20Scotland%2C%20United%20Kingdom&toYear=1760

first one b 12 May 1754 to Patrick MacN and Margaret Drummond
second b 21 February 1759 to Patrick MacN and Margaret McLeran [sic] (probably a mistransciption of McLaren)

Definitely in the right area as the MacNab Clan burial grounds are on an island in the middle of the Dochart River just off the bridge at Killin.  Look at it on Google street view. 

Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McNab
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
The Blair Atholl OPR for marriages shows the following:  Robert MacNab in Haugh of Urrard, Moulin parish and Isobel MacGlashan in Aldclune (married) 23 Aug 1818

Throth