Author Topic: ***COMPLETED********Chelsea Pensioner Military Record ?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
***COMPLETED********Chelsea Pensioner Military Record ?
« on: Friday 30 October 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Hill c1837 born in Edinburgh listed in 1881 Census Midlothian as a Chelsea Pensioner.
Married to Mary-Sarah Palmer c1834 who was born in Gibralter.

Please advise regarding researching his military service etc ?

They had two children c1868 Kent & c1870 Donegal.

*****COMPLETED***************
No more answers to MY queries.
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner Military Record ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 09 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the forum. Surviving pre-WW1 army records are being put online by Findmypast. They have scanned what survives from your period, but they are quoting 'by 2011' for putting them online. When they are available you will be able to do a name search. At present they are filed at the National Archives depending upon when he was discharged.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If he was discharged before the end of 1872 you need to know his regiment, so I would wait for FindMyPast. For 1873 to 1882 there are nine series, records are then alphabetical within each series. The three main series are cavalry, artillery and infantry (less Rifle Brigade which has it’s own).

You had to be at least 30 to be discharged to pension through length of service (12 years). An exception was if he was discharged early due to illness or injury. Men discharged early by purchase or with ignominy did not receive pensions. So the rule of thumb is look in the series when the man was 30 to 35.

If you don’t find his record you should spend time researching his regiment as then you can use the muster books (in WO12 in Kew).

Ken

Offline annieBL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Ronbucks, I don't mean to hijack your thread but can I just ask Ken some more information about the Findmypast army records please? 

I've been in contact with the National Archives to obtain a copy of the service records for an ancestor of mine who was in the 91st Foot Regiment of the Argylls.  I've been told that the search for his records would take longer than the 20-minute free-of-charge search and so they can't help me.  He was discharged with a pension circa 1816.  Would any information be available on FindMyPast for this period?  Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

This is all the information I have on this Chelsea Pensioner. I don't have any idea which regiment he was in ?

He was 31 when his first child was born and just wondering if his childrens birthplaces would give pointers to his regiment. Does his wifes parents possibly have a military background since she was born in Gibralter ?

I'm just wondering what research I can do on-line as I cannot justify a flight to London at present.

Is FindMyPast seperate from the National Archives ?
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

You must have got the Saturday Girl as everyone in the NA should know that pre 1855 discharges can be searched online on the NA catalogue - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp - putting his name in word or phase, and WO (for War Office) in the series code. They are on microfilm in Kew. FindMyPast are putting all pre 1914 discharges that are on paper or microfilm online.

If you get a hit try pressing REQUEST THIS. You will not get any FH information, other than place of birth, and age on enlistment. If his papers have not survived you can follow his service using the Muster Books (WO12). These are original documents so you will have to go to Kew and get a readers ticket.

They only introduced numbers in the 1820s. Before that you pray for a common name, as to tell them apart in the musters they added place of birth and trade on enlistment. Also if you can find them after they served 7 years and then 14 years (when they got an extra 1d a day) they included a summary and listed all regiments served in.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron

Is FindMyPast separate from the National Archives ?

They are a private company.

Most soldiers served in Kent at one time or another. Being the closest county to the continent they built a number of forts/barracks there. The closest army list I have is 1872 and I cannot see an infantry or cavalry regiment in Donegal. As a coastal county there would have been artillery there, and maybe other ‘corps’. But the army lists are not always accurate.

Have you got both children’s birth certificates? One or other might give the father’s regiment. You can save 3 euros by asking for Irish BMD certificates on plain paper. Or you can wait for FindMyPast, as then you can do a name search.

Ken

Offline annieBL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Ken, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I will try again with the NA. 

Regards,  Annie

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Ken,

The 1871 Census listed below suggests he was a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery  :) ?

Thanks again Ron

NB.
1871 census shows at castle Dover
Dover kent
(seem to be listed soldier's -then wives -then children - there are 37 pages

but there is this

Thomas Hill Married 35 Sergeant R A b Scotland
RG10 1008 97 page 8

Mary Sarah Hill Married 32 Soldier's wife Spain british sbject
RG10 1008 107 page 28

then on page 32

jessie Hill 9 b Devonport Devon
Thomas Hill 7 b Plymouth Devon
Mary Sarah Hill 5 b Woolwich kent
james hill 3 b Woolwich kent
magdalena Hill 1 b ireland

Offline annieBL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on the search for my ancestor's service records.  I tried again via the 'Request This' as you suggested, Ken.  I got the same reply. The search would take too long.  :( 

Does anyone on the Armed Forces forum offer a 'Look Up' for Kew or is it just too difficult a search?  Unfortunately, I can't see me getting there anytime within the next six months or so.  :(