Author Topic: USA Free BMD?  (Read 30381 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: USA Free BMD?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
If you have a particular state or city that you are looking to order vital records from, I would recommend doing a Google search for something like, say, Alabama death records or California vital records.  A government site should come up in the first few results.  Most states started to require vital records in the late 1800's or early 1900's, so what's available before then may be spotty.

As far as seeing what's available online, this site has a lot of helpful links:  http://www.deathindexes.com/sites.html

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
HI Romilly,

Thx Shellyesq, it appears the link you gave will be helpful. I am currently focused on finding birth records for my 3rdG-grandfather Orrin, bn 1796 in Ashford and his father Smith Holt, bn in Hartford Conneticut. I have Smith's marriage info from the Barbour Collection transcription as well as Orrin's marriage (church record transcription) and death information from the Ontario Ontario Vital Statistics Agency and newspaper obit. The thing missing is the birth records :-( I did contact the Ashford CT municipal office for Orrin's birth record, but no luck there.

I too live not too far from Wisconsin, albeit a Canadian neighbour.  You may want to contact a RAOGK volunteer at http://www.raogk.org/ who lives in the area being searched to do some work for you. There seem to be quite a few volunteers in Wisconsin. Most do the work for free but some of them do charge for photocopying and the like so you will need to ask ahead of time.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link to www.411.com  I wasn't aware of that site   :)
Linda

I just tried putting in the name of the family descendant that I wrote to...and it comes up with the same address.

I don't know whether to just give up altogether...or to try writing again ::) ::) ::)

The address that I tried was in Milwaukee. Is there anyone on here who knows that neighbourhood?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.