Author Topic: Windows 7 upgrade  (Read 25838 times)

Offline oldhippy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 upgrade
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 November 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I`ve been running Win 7 RC for a few months....Its the Mutts Nuts.

Just gotta put Win 7 Pro onto my PC.

As good as XP, more than happy to run it, its better than Vista.

Anything is better then Vista. ;D Like no computer at all.
Please scan photos at 300dpi or higher. Thank you.

Hambling. Mexter. Taylor. Bailey. Bolton. Boyse. Davenport. Fisher. Godfrey. Goff. Hawkins. Holmes. Jarvis. Joseph. Leek. Morgan. Osborne. Ross. Sharp. Webber.

Websites
http://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com

http://taylorfamily1.tribalpages.com

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 November 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
My installation instructions detailed which drivers etc must be removed before updating. Some manufacturers are stating Win7 drivers under development so it will be worthwhile checking your system details and look on their web site for  updates first. Win7 is said to come with a very large array of drivers, but as stated my finger print scanner had to be installed off the web site after help from their techy guy.

The hi-res wallpaper is getting ooohs and aahs from the OH.

My microphone didnt work, then I realised I need a headset on this laptop, no built in microphone like the old one. I was all too ready to blame Win 7,  so make sure you don't get caught out too.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 November 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Some manufacturers are stating Win7 drivers under development so it will be worthwhile checking your system details and look on their web site for  updates first.

Mike

Just to add some more to Mike`s post.

If you are struggling for Win7 drivers, try Vista drivers, I had to use a Vista driver for my HP Printer.

Also if you have problems with hardware/software go to the manufacturers website & see if there are any work arounds for issues/problems with certain hardware/software, Microsoft does list some issues & has links to the suggested solutions.

Another thing to watch out for is whether you install Win7 32bit or Win7 64bit, you`ll need the appropriate drivers (32bit or 64bit).

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I've had a copy of Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) laying around on my desk for a couple of weeks now, at the weekend I decided to install it, and I'm sorry to report that it wasn't all plain sailing  :'(

Because I'm running XP, and I can't afford to be without a computer, I installed Windows 7 on an unused disk partition, and I set it up so I could dual-boot into either XP or Windows 7.  The installation went without a hitch (I'd already run the compatability test), and all appeared to be OK until I noticed a small square in the bottom right-hand corner with a yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle of it.   Hovering the mouse over this icon, a box came up which said Windows Network No Internet Access  ::)  I could access all the other computers in my home/office network, but not the internet. 

Now, I'm pretty experienced with computers, and I've been on basic networking courses, and looking at the Windows settings there didn't appear to be anything wrong with them at all.  Unfortunately, internet access problems are the worst ones to have, because you can't access the internet to get online help.

Anyway, I fired up trusty old XP, and Googled for Windows 7 internet access problems, and it appears that these are quite common on Windows 7.  I found a forum where a user was having identical problems to me, and the people there gave him a couple of things to try.  Well, the one which worked for him didn't work for me, but the second thing that was suggested (that I'd already tried) now worked for me.  I'll include the technical details of what I did below, in case anyone here has the same problem.  You are really only likely to see it if you access the internet via a router, and not via a modem connected to the USB port or a built-in ADSL modem.

Now for the tech bits

The PC is set up with an IP address of 192.168.1.41, which is obtained by DHCP from a DrayTek 2820 ethernet router (IP bound to MAC address). When I look at the settings in Windows 7, it all looks OK.....

PC address 192.168.1.41
Address Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address 192.168.1.1
DNS Addresses 217.169.20 20, 217.169.20.21 (obtained from the router)

I can pull up the router's web page OK, but I can't resolve any URL's. Windows 7 diagnostics says that there is a problem accessing the DNS.

I've downloaded the latest 64-bit Windows driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCDI-E gigabit IP controller in the PC.

The fixes

In Windows 7, click on Start

then in the search box at the bottom, type cmd but do not hit enter !

Then hit the CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER keys simultaneously.

A box will come up asking if you want to run this program, reply YES.

This gives a command box with Admin rights.

Then at the prompt, type in netsh int ip reset [Enter]

When the prompt reappears, close the box.

This has worked for most people. It didn't for me. I also had to set my network card to use the OpenDNS settings

and then it worked. I'd already tried to use manual DNS settings before, and it didn't work.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Nick.

No doubt another RC member will bless you when the same happens on their PC.

Mike

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Just ran the upgrade advisor to see whether my Acer was by any remote chance compatible with 7. Must have been joking. Has to be a new machine, So at least it will be a clean fresh start.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 November 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The more l use it the better it gets.

This was done using handwriting recognition.

Not a key was pressed!

Offline JeanH

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • We are all products of our past
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 November 09 11:36 GMT (UK) »
At present I am using Vista on an 11 month old computer.  In the "good old days" when one purchased a new computer, it came with a disc of whichever operationg system was installed on the machine.  Now the systems is in a partitioned part of the hard drive and one has to make a back up disc in case the hard drive goes walkabout.
   Having read the previous posts on Windows 7 I would prefere to do a "clean" installation not an upgrade from Vista.  At least that way if anything goes wrong, I have the disc. 
   I then went looking for prices, shock horror, around £200+.  Has anyone seen a reliable outlet which has a lower price?  Also, how many computers can one install the disc on?  I have the feeling that I might be better waiting a bit longer, perhaps to the middle of the next year before making the change, maybe the price will come down and any bugs will have been ironed out.
Regards JeanH
Yorkshire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain - Baxter - Crowther - Gillen - Rhodes - Ambler - Norton - Robinson - Gloucestershire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 November 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
You can get Win7 for less than £200.

Much depends on what version you want, personally I see little point in Ultimate, I`ve got 2 full Pro copies, got them on the special advanced order thing about £180 for both copies IIRC.

You can only instal one copy on one PC, you cannot instal the same copy on another PC, you`ll require a second licence or full copy. With a full Retail copy, you can install on another PC if your one dies.

Tesco http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1998893/Nr.99.aspx

You could use an OEM disc they are cheaper, but you cannot use it on another PC should your one die...
http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/System-Builder-Software-%28OEM%29/subcat/Windows-7

Hope this helps.

Steve

There are possible ways to overcome some of the above issues, but not really legally.