Author Topic: Windows 7 upgrade  (Read 25837 times)

Offline Jessie711

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 upgrade
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I pre ordered my upgrade through Amazon it arrived about Nov. 3rd.

I made sure that my computers software and drivers were all up to date. After the installation which took about 2 hours everything appeared to be working as it should.

My problems started after I installed the first set of windows 7 updates.

After installing and on the 2nd restart I lost my internet connection on checking I found that I was connected to multiple networks and no Internet connection. My only solution was to do a system restore.

I tried to install the updates one at a time to determine which one was causing the problem. No matter which update I installed I ended up with the same problem.

After many hours with both Microsoft and HP technical support it was determined that although my computer was up to date the firmware for my model of computer had not yet been updated for Windows 7.

The solution according to Microsoft was to do a system restore and to block the windows automatic updates for at least a month. By this time HP should have released the necessary updates. This I did.

I then installed Photoshop CS3 on the computer. After restarting the computer I again found myself connected to multiple networks with no Internet access. This time after the system restore I was still connected to multiply networks with no Internet access.

I have now reinstalled Vista Home Premium and the net result is I have lost all of my emails prior to Nov. 3rd and according to MSN there is no way of recovering them as only those emails after Nov 3rd are on their server.

In my humble opinion and for what it’s worth Microsoft released Windows 7 too early. I would recommend anyone considering upgrading to contact their computer manufacturer and check for updated firmware.
Simper, Sullivan, Holbrook, Baylis, McLean, Clark, Purdie, Howie

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »
My upgrade is specific to my Sony Viao - I had to enter the model and serial number to be redirected to the correct version.I hope I dont have your problems.

Thank you for sharing with us.

I am aware of the price scale but mine is Vista Ultimate and a bit dearer, however as it  is cheaper elsewhere it may not be specific to my laptop..

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline GenealogyPrinters

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I've just bought a new lappie with Windows 7 installed, I think it's great, not dissimilar from XP, after 6 days of constant use I have had no difficulties at all, for once I think MS have got it right.
Best wishes. Ron O'Neill
www.genealogyprinters.com

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I DID IT...MY LAPTOP STILL WORKS ;D ;D ;D

Windows 7 upgrade (remember this is specific to my Vaio and supplied  irect from Sony) went on with no snags. It does take over two hours but the instuctions warned of this. One niggle was my warning screen were not as decribed but that was soon sorted by just pressing cancel.
My instructions also included advice on how to make restore discs and back up files in case of problems, which was a bit disconcerting.
All my programmes and files, e-mails etc were back in place, I have not found anything missing, yet!
The new task bar at the bottom is a usefull addition, and libraries that store all your docs and pics in one place.
My screen looks sharper and brighter but this is probably down to new updated drivers.
The start up is much faster and they claim search works faster too.
The Shut Down button is now on its own and no longer under start up.
Windows can be bumped at the top to maximise, clear etc.

Only one draw back, fingerprint recognition does not work, it is installed and says "This is working" but it does not show as an  option on boot up.

I am posting this the next day after upgrading as I felt somebody might be waiting, no doubt I shall find other little tweaks and twiddles as I progress.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
The fingerprint log in is now working.
The manufactures help desk (Upek), were most helpful providing detailed instructions as to a special driver for Win 7.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 November 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Photoshop is much faster starting and pictures open faster too. The window docking thingy works allowing two windows to sit side by side and interact. The libraries collect docs and pcis into one place regardless of where the original is stored.

Polite note:
Is anybody actually reading this?

Mike 

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 November 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I am Mike, I haven't upgraded as yet so I find it all interesting ;)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 November 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm reading it Mike...  ;D

Offline Christine in Portugal

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandparents, Ernest & Emily Walker 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 November 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm also reading this, still waiting for mine to arrive from Sony and pleased to hear yours is ok.

Christine
Mallinson- Lepton, Huddersfield
Walker, Smith, Slater, Blacker - Farnley Tyas, Huddersfield
Claybourne/Clayburn - Norton Doncaster
Birkenshaw/Birkinshaw - Doncaster
Hall - Skelbrooke, Doncaster
Bisby - Campsall, Doncaster
Hemsworth - Doncaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk