Author Topic: William MILLS and wife Letitia  (Read 2434 times)

Offline diinsussex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William MILLS and wife Letitia
« on: Saturday 31 October 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find  the Marriage Reg of a William Mills and his wife Letitia.
Their nine children I have found all baptized  at  All Saints Parish Church,Great Marlow. First child 1796  last child 1813. The last reg stated father's occupation
was a carpenter.  The last child was given a middle name of Elderfield--which I suspect might have been mum's maiden name
I have asked Buchs FHS to look between 1786 and 1820--they did not find anything. Not sure if that means they just check Gt Marlow or all over Bucks. Of course the marriage may have occurred in another county.I have also failed to find them in the census 1841 or 1851
Any help I would greatly appreciate.
diinsussex
Browning  Devon, London,Sydney ,Muswellbrook nsw
Hammond  Channel Islands ,Sydney, New Zealand
Venn , Sydney ,Mullumbimby NSW, Devon  Sth Africa
 Granny Greenhalgh NSW
Vickery Broughton London Eng

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
Re: William Mills and Wife Letitia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 09 10:52 GMT (UK) »
A probable marriage from the Berkshire IGI (Familysearch):

12 Dec 1797  William MILLS and Letitia LODER at Hagbourne, Berks

The IGI has no baptisms to this couple in Berkshire and, as I note that the first child baptised to William and Letitia in Great Marlow was in 1798, this looks very likely.

One reason why I think this marriage could be the right one is that there is what seems to be an illegitimate child baptised to an Elizabeth LODER in Hagbourne in 1805.  This child was given the middle christian names of Owen Weatherhead.  The WEATHERED family were wealthy brewers in Great Marlow and I suspect that one of them may have been this child's father.  Perhaps Elizabeth LODER was a sister of Letitia.

Another reason for this marriage being the right one is that the surname ELDERFIELD occurs in and around Hagbourne whereas it is fairly uncommon in Buckinghamshire.

The database search you had from Bucks FHS would have covered the whole of Bucks.

With regard to the 1841 and 1851 census it is quite probable that you won't find either William and Letitia as they may well have died before that time.  I think that William may have died in Great Marlow in 1813 as there is a burial for a William MILLS, aged 36, on 23 Nov 1813.  There are no other MILLS burials in Great Marlow between 1813 and 1866.  If this is 'your' William he could be the son of Richard and Mary MILLS baptised at Great Marlow on 22 Dec 1776.  Following William's death Letitia may have returned to her home county of Berkshire with her family and this may be why Priscilla married in Reading.

I hope this is helpful.

Orpheus

PS:  I note that William and Letitia had ten children - Mary (1798), Sarah (1800), Harriot (1802), William (1804), Richard (1805), Joseph (1807), Letitia (1808), Maria (1810), Eliza (1812) and Priscilla (1813)
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline diinsussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
ooooh! Aren't you clever finding out all of this information. It does seem to make sense all of your suggestions. Thank you so much for looking this up for me.

I have not found Hagbourne on the map yet  or the one I have does not show it,so will look further when I go downstairs. Have noted that I missed out one child from the Marlow Baps--so thanks for pointing this out.

Interesting about the possible illegitimate child born to Elizabeth Loder? I guess I need to look at the Loder family ---though there are none in the Marlow Baps
Though I note plenty of Wethered s

I will try to get a copy of the marriage cert--if you think it will confirm any more,than the IGI gives. Other wise maybe some of their children's Marr cert may say more. OR would would William's death cert confirm Letitia as being his wife. Way back then I don't suppose too much info was recorded. Tricky !
Many thanks again -I will consider all you have give me.
You have been GREAT!    Di
 Granny Greenhalgh NSW

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 10:08 GMT (UK) »
The Hagbournes (East and West) are situated a few miles west of Wallingford close to the town of Didcot.  Note that, since the county boundary was changed in the late 1970s, all of these places are now in Oxfordshire although, historically, they were in Berkshire.

You cannot obtain a certificate for a marriage which took place prior to 1837.  However, you may be able to obtain a copy of the entry in the parish registers provided that the original register has been microfilmed.  The entry may give the status [bachelor, spinster, widow(er)] of the parties concerned and their residence.  There should also be two witnesses but sometimes these are parish officials (churchwarden etc.) and are not much help.

You also cannot obtain a death certificate for a person who died prior to 1837.  All you can obtain will be a copy of the entry from the parish burial register which will give you the date of burial. the name of the deceased, his/her age and place of residence.  Occasionally relationships are included but I can confirm that in William's case this is not so.

Orpheus
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline diinsussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
 I could not find Hagbourne ,because I was not looking for East or west. Googled it in the end and up it came. What a lovely looking village---will have to visit when we visit friends at Long Whittenham.
I suppose the villages of the old Berkshire county are still covered by Berks and not  Oxon.
Thanks for your advice about the certificates.I will see if I can get some copies from the parish regs. Maybe  another marriage cert of another of their children will throw some more light. Mary had 2 daughters in Reading that I have found. Priscilla married in1840 a master of the Blue Coat School,witnessed by William Pearce Ivey who was married to Letitia,the 7th born. Wpw employed many in his Drapery business as dress makers and milliners including the 9th born Eliza,who at the age of 40 married the 'lace man' who was 15yrs younger. They married in 1853 and went off to Plymouth and ran a similar business.So i'm sure it's very possible that Mary went to Reading after her husband died in1813. This is the year that Priscilla was baptized,which makes her 27 when she married.Pity there is no census to track what happened during those years.
I guess I can't go back any further as it all becomes 'guesswork',but I am very grateful for all the help you have given me. I will let you know if I find out any more.
Many thanks,
diinsussex
 Granny Greenhalgh NSW

Offline caperrott

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: William MILLS and wife Letitia
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
Ten years later!  I have some further information if interested - hoping you may have more?