Author Topic: Wedding photo to date - help please  (Read 8913 times)

indiapaleale

Re: Wedding photo to date - help please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 March 05 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Carol,

Oh...I did laugh....No I don't think he's putting a cup of tea on her hat !!!I think that teacup shaped thing is part of the ornament on her hat. I took the picture and blew it up and it looks as though he is squeezing her ormanent!  Dirty beast! I think he's being a smart-alec!!

Now the lady with the shawl thing in the center of the picture has a dress with leg o' mutton sleeves. In fact, most of the ladies have leg o' mutton sleeves. Some of the mutton is saggier than others.....enough said.

What I want to know is:
What type of space alien is stroking the hair of the lady with the teacup ornament hat.....???? Look at those fingers !!!!

Cheers,
Indi

Offline AliceO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 March 05 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks for sharing your wonderful photo, also to others who have given out website addresses, I've bookmarked them.
Regards
AliceO
Durham -  Hanson, Grey, Rogers, Gallagher,Graham
Lancashire,  Evans, Thomas
Shropshire, Evans, Thomas,  Davies, Walford, Randles

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 March 05 03:29 GMT (UK) »
What a stunning photo!

I would think that it definitely is a wedding (top hats, flowers in the gentlemen's lapels) and that the bride is the seated lady in the centre immediately behind the two children.

My guess is that it might not be much later than 1895 - see the very exaggerated leg of mutton sleeves on the bride's dress; also the frills round the necks of many of the ladies.  As the bride doesn't have a bridal head-dress or a bouquet (which one might perhaps expect given how dressed up the gentlemen are), I am wondering whether she is now in her going-away outfit (I think they were in vogue at the time).  Why are the gents wearing hats - perhaps the ones with top hats had hired them and wanted a photo of themselves wearing them!

The facial hair of the gentlemen might help?  In general they have bushy moustaches and no beards.  Only one chap has waxed ends to his moustache.  A couple have small moustaches (a fashion? - or perhaps they couldn't grow a bushy one).  The only beards are the older man, and the rather arty looking chap with the soft hat.

The building is interesting - shape of the windows and leadlighting.  Also the strange shelf-like arrangement at the top of what appears to be a door behind them.  What is the middle bracket attached to?  Pity the flowers weren't out.

For comparison, here's a nice wedding group from 1900 that I came across:
http://members.porchlight.ca/melking/

Judy

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 March 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
We have now narrowed this down to the wedding of one of three brothers,taking place in either 1899,1902 or 1906(a second marriage-his first was in 1892)

Sorry Judy,but I'm still inclined to go with Indi and Rian on this,that the bride is standing at the back and is in fact holding a bouquet(only just visible).
Although the one with the leg o mutton sleeves(or is it a shawl) does seem the most glamorously dressed  there.I thought the top hats might have meant it was quite a well to do wedding-usually even to get a photo makes it such doesn't it?  ;D

BUT........can anyone suggest a time of year?

The ladies all seem to be dressed in very light colours both dresses and hats.
Would that automatically say 'summer' ?

Thanks all.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 March 05 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

If it's any help at all this photo is dated 1912.   The fashions are not all that different.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 March 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
One more look at the "teacup" and I'm willing to believe it could BE one, and he is playing a trick on her! Also look at the man to the other side of her— could his hand be at the other side of her head (the aforementioned "space alien") holding up more flowers in a bunch? He has such a wicked grin on his face. I think the two of them are "having a go"at the poor girl. Anyone agree?
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 March 05 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone think that the man far left, who seems to be dressed far shabbier than the rest of the party,could be a chimney sweep?

Supposed to be lucky isn't it?

Hope that teacup chap isn't a tea leaf too  8)
Maybe the space alien is a dead rellie who just felt he had to attend this wedding ;)

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 March 05 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there pals  ;D

I have been sent another family wedding pic(or we think it is)They appear to be the same lot but I think by looking at the age of the children it is some years later.
Maybe two or three? Some of the faces are easy to spot in the previous pic.
Further down the page. What does anyone else think?

This time I see no bouquet at all,do you ;D
It's at the same venue though- just look at those windows.

Would love your suggestions.....again.

Many thanks,

Carol

PS Mr Teacup is not there this time  ;)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 March 05 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Good one! Yes, most of the same people I reckon — and could the man in the centre of the back row be Mr teacup without so much moustache? Miss Teacup-hat is now in the centre in white. Do you think it could be HER wedding? As you say, no bouquet, but her hands are out of sight. However they are not wearing top hats in this one, and the only man who could be the groom is, I think, the groom from the last pic! So what is the occasion? No baby, so not a christening — a significant birthday or wedding anniversary maybe. I would say it was 3 or 4 years later, looking at the little girl who was a toddler in the last one. I love the idea of a sweep in the last pic: you could well be right — well spotted! The hats are stupendous aren't they?!
These photos are lovely —thanks for sharing them!
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.