Author Topic: Wedding photo to date - help please  (Read 8912 times)

indiapaleale

Re: Wedding photo to date - help please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 March 05 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Yes...it's another wedding.....the buttonholes give it away. I think it's the sister of the previous bride....don't they look alike?

Maybe it wasn't such a formal affair ......or maybe it was "top hats off" for the picture.

Is that the same grandma sitting down now?...Boy, she looks well.....seems to have gotten younger.

They are wonderful pics.......AND.....I want one of those hats !!!!!!

Cheers,
Indi

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 02:39 GMT (UK) »
well I'm not sure it's a tea cup. I'd say the Gent on her left, in front of the window, is holding a bunch of flowers up. While the Gent on her right, in front of the door, is placing a hand on the flowers trying to lower them. If you look at the Gent on her right, you will notice his left shoulder has motion blur, which means he moved his arm while the photo  was taken.

I'm starting to feel like Sister Wendy http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/sisterwendy/meet/index.html analyzing a Caravaggio. :D

Try this site. It has some dates for hat styles. http://www.fashion-era.com/Dating_Costume_History_Pictures/costume_detective_1910_crowd_1.htm It's most likey Edwardian c1900 - 1909

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Defiantly same church, same family. Looking at the boy, It wouldn't be anymore than twelve months latter.

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 04:47 GMT (UK) »
I think the boy could be any of the three; but look at the beret! The girl is wearing it now!! I wouldn't have noticed it if Deadants hadn't done that neat trick with the superimposed pics....
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the beret jumped out at me immediately as a hand-me-down!  And don't you love Papa's checked cap?  Not to mention the stiffly-starched Eton collars (poor little boys).  The lady with the double-breasted coat/jacket with very big buttons is interesting - I wonder whether that's an up-to-date fashion?  Her hat is also much smaller in the brim (or perhaps has no brim at all).  Still no foliage on the bare twigs though (perhaps it's dead??) and nothing over the archway.

Judy

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Deadants,that is so clever,superimposing those faces like that.My hubby and I have photocopied the pics and are in the middle of cutting them all out to see who matches! Oh that I was computer literate enough to do it your way  ;)

I hadn't noticed the tree(twig!) not being in flower.Same time of year maybe?

I love all your suggestions  ;D other people always notice things that you did not first time round.......now all we need is their names!!

By the way they are the Brown family,and yes it's London.
The pic belongs to a friend of mine.

Keep the ideas coming  ;)

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:33 GMT (UK) »
I love the photos......think there are a few sisters in the first one.....and the man with the beard with his wife are (bride's?) parents....His wife has her hand on the shoulder of the younf man in front of her...looks like her son.

The venus - I don't think is a church....it looks to me more like a garden summer-house.........the pictures are more relaxed to be directly after the ceremony - and would you have a 'cup of tea' outside the church ?  So I would say it was at the reception - possibly in their own garden ?
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:55 GMT (UK) »
check this link http://members.porchlight.ca/melking/index.html it has a fully documented 1900 wedding. Compare the clothes to Carol's photos.

You could be right KathyM, about the Church. It does seem to small. Your suggestion of their own garden sounds like a likely proposition, especially after reading about the wedding in the link above.

deadants

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 08:11 GMT (UK) »
deadants,

Are you going to let us in on the secret of how you do that brilliant extraction and superposition?

Cheers,

Judy
PS: Think that link is the one I posted in my first post on this thread.
PPS (added later): The reason I commented on the lady in the double-breasted coat/jacket is that I wondered whether she is the youngest lady in the photo.  They do say one should always check out the fashions worn by the youngest ladies as those will be the most up to date!