Author Topic: Carrolls and McCarrolls - somewhere to start...  (Read 9050 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carrolls and McCarrolls - somewhere to start...
« on: Sunday 01 November 09 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Today, I received an inquiry about a 2007 posting about my family. 

This lady stated that they have some Carroll/McCarroll ancestry

“…but from the Parish of Fintona, not the parish of Clogher as you state your family is from.”

Then she went on to say:

“…The research I did…if my research is correct, was my McCarroll's were from the townland of Rathfragan in the parish of Fintona.

My great grandmother Mary Carroll was the daughter of Elizabeth Watson married to Patrick Carroll.  When I found the baptismal entry about 20 years ago at a Church of Latter Day Saints, the family name was spelled McCarroll.   Mary was born 1865 and came to the US in about 1881 with her brother Bernard and her parents.     At the baptism, the godparents were also McCarroll's (can't remember the names at the moment - would have to pull the paperwork out.)”

Let me say at the outset, the searcher should be encouraged in that she was reviewing various postings on the web and felt that some of the information might lead “somewhere.”  That is a good start, because she would like to address concerns that have already been covered and does not want to repeat them. 

But, there are problems in the questions that she asked and I would like to address some of them.

For example, there is no parish (religious or civil) that is directly tied to the town of Fintona.  And she did not indicate if that parish was Roman Catholic, which is quite different from the civil parish that might be also associated with Fintona.  In fact, Donacavey Parish (the civil one) also contains the Church of Ireland (1777), Donaghcavey (1857, Roman Catholic, probably St. Laurence’s chapel), Ballynahatty Presbyterian (1843), Fintona Presbyterian (1836), and two are others, but you can see the confusion that can come from only a reference to Fintona.  But at least it was a start. 

It may be that she had mistaken the townland of Fintona with the parish, because there 
the oldest registering couple with that McCarroll name involved an Owen McCarroll from the Clogher parish.  But in 1870 Clogher R.C. Parish was divided and Eskragh (Eskra) was created out of it when the chapel in Lisnarable townland became a parish.  Catherine McCusker (her father was listed as a McCosker in Griffiths) was from the townland of Augharonan, in Donacavey Parish.  If it was a Roman Catholic parish that would be St. Laurence's chapel, I believe. But, they lived south of Fintona and this McCarroll family came from the north of Fintona.  While the distances today would not be great you must remember that in 1870 they were.

Owen and Catherine were my paternal great great grandparents.  Because they were Catholics their parents did not have the benefit of civil registration of births or marriages; universal registration did not begin until 1864, and only Protestant marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. So, without their religious background we have a quandary and can only rely upon the various church registers.  Success here depends of course on two things, locating the correct register and the date at which it commences.  But no dates were given, except for 1865 and we know she did find a registration for that birth.  But where did it take place?

But what of religion?  There are a few clues, but they really don’t lead us anywhere without more information.  Were they Carroll’s or McCarroll’s in Ireland?  It appears that they were really McCarroll’s and that would probably mean they were Catholics.  But the great grandmother was Elizabeth Watson and that brings the religion into question.  Elizabeth would not be a normal name of a Catholic child, or would it?

I will take a breather from this and add to it tomorrow.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carrolls and McCarrolls - somewhere to start...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 09 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I have found the birth of Mary on the IGI and I believe that Fintona is not the parish but the Registration District as stated on the extracted information

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
  Elizabeth would not be a normal name of a Catholic child, or would it?
Hi jj,
name's,surname and forename, that MIGHT be today associated with one religion or another can not be associated in the same way in the 1800's.I have seen loads of example's were the name is whatever religion you can think of. I've wondered when people started getting pigeon holed by their name but it doesn't seem to have been in the 1800's.

Tony

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
 I began my search in 1982 on lark because I just happened to be around Fintona.  I later ended up with another person visiting the LDS History Center in Salt Lake City while we were attending a conference together. Oh, I made many mistakes once I got started.  And I still do, as noted in the quick responses to this posting. I wanted to share some of them with everyone, the reason for this posting. 

But, back to Salt Lake City. It was time to find Owen and Catherine's marriage.

Owen was the son of Eugene McCarroll from Corkhill, and in 1867 it was part of the R.C. parish of Clogher, which also was the civil parish of that name.  Now Eugene probably went by the name of Owen because they are interchangeable and this created a problem when we went looking for Catherine and Owens’s marriage registration.  Although Owen signed his name as Owen he was listed on the marriage certificate (?) as Eugene and we paid Ned looking for an Owen.  Also, Catherine had become a McCusker although her father was a McCosker according to Griffiths.  Later, when looking for an aunt’s birth Catherine was listed as a McKuskar.  But persistence paid off for me because I wanted to find out why the LDS information did not square up with what I had found in the 1982 visit to the Clogher records where I had actually seen the information when it was written down, and it was not part of the LDS archives.

Now I do not want to imply that this searcher’s parents or grandparents or great grandparents were married in Fintona.  In fact, after a careful reading of her request you could surmise that it did not happen that way.  Mary, her grandmother was born in 1865, about the time that my Owen and Catherine were married.  But she came to America in 1881 with her brother Bernard, so she could not have been married in Ireland.  We then have only Mary and Bernard born around 1865 (was Bernard older or younger?), possibly in the townland of Rathfragan (which is north of the town of Fintona, by a townland called Donacavey in the parish of Donacavey).  And we have their parents arriving with them.  Would not the start of the search turn to Rathfragan and Griffith’s? 

Owen and Catherine made their home in the 167 acre townland of Corkhill, farming and raising a passel of kids.  We know that because their farmhouse was removed in 1982 by the Devine’s, who then owned the land.  And alas, I was there to witness it's demise. All of their children married except Patrick and the last two, Jane and Hugh, who stayed on the farm where we have a record of Catherine's death.  Three of the children were to go to San Francisco, California; one of them stayed there and raised his family - Tom Carroll who had married Catherine Daley from Newtown Saville (later to become Newtownsaville, in the parish of Eskra, or St. Patrick's) before leaving for San Francisco. 

The rest of the family, including my grandfather, are buried at St. Patrick's and the family  headstone is one of the oldest there - and all of the Carroll's that have headstones there are named McCarroll's. but one. Although Michael McCarroll became a Carroll in California he lived in Fintona as a McCarroll.  Why, we have not questioned.  But there is a mysterious headstone in that cemetery for a Patrick Carroll who died in 1912; was he the Mad Man as the family called him because Pat had traveled back and forth to San Francisco?

Note that the "Mc" had been dropped, as were those of the brothers that went to San Francisco. when they became Carroll's.  In this case, it all happened before the 1906 earthquake, but that is not the reason why for the earthquake and fire.  My grandfather immigrated to America in 1899 and was to return to Ireland in 1912. Ships records should be used to verify that; however the expense is such that I choose not to do that.  We did a review that found when they returned in 1924 and that is a good source that some could help with on these boards.

I guess I will stop here, but i will pick it up tomorrow. Good luck in your hunting!
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

It is a problem when one moves from a specific example and generalizes it to something that really could not stand up to scrutiny for every case.   :-X  Nor did you make it such a general rule, but it must be realized that there were some that named their children after saints, and those sanctified persons would of course be Irish. There were still many Roman Catholics, even in the enlightened 1800's (?), and even today, that would never, ever name their child after that good queen Bess.  While it is good that you would posit that changes were afoot around that time I will stand by the statement that one needs to look into that matter.  8)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't really understand what you are trying to say but would agree with Tony that using the Christian name Elizabeth does not give any indication of a family's religious denomination.
I would disgree with this bit of your post "There were still many Roman Catholics, even in the enlightened 1800's (?), and even today, that would never, ever name their child after that good queen Bess." as about 25 years ago I stayed with a R.C. family in Galway with a young daughter whose mother told me her name, Elizabeth, was after 'the English" Queen.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey,

If you will re-read my original post you will see that I raised the question and then asked if that was the case, in all instances. 

It was, and still is, something to explore and the subject matter need not be hidden away in some dark closet, as some might do.  While you may use your example of the R.C. family in Galway, about 25 years ago, and Tony could find another one for Fintona, it does not follow that in all cases the religion of the parents have nothing to do with the naming of their child.  I too could tell of examples that would buttress my argument (?) that when you do not have any more information than just the name it is necessary to ask questions, even if they raise the hackles that we would like left alone.

As you stated, using the Christian name of Elizabeth does not give any indication of the family's denomination in itself - but it could, if there were other questions asked. Would you not ask the other questions for fear that the answers might offend?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Certain Christian names, especially those with an Irish interpretation, might have mainly used by Catholic families at one time but the point still remains that the use of Elizabeth as a Christian name was used by all religions in Ireland. both in the past and present, so its use in the instance of Elizabeth Watson doesn't help identify her family background.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 09 16:09 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey,

So now we should ignore that line in inquiry?

Funny, but the original posting by the individual that started this has just responded by e-mail that she was amazed to find only a few Watson's and they were Presbyterian.

"I'm also wondering where did Elizabeth Watson come from.  She apparently was Catholic as was my g-grandmother but I haven't found many Watson's in the area.  I found one in the area in the 1911 census and they were Presbyterian."

I never posited that Elizabeth was never used by all religions in Ireland, and any reference to that is not valid.  It was only a line of inquiry that could lead to finding answers to those questions which some would not have us ask in our search for ancestors.