Author Topic: Blong in Ireland  (Read 49595 times)

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Blong in Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 May 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there...

Okay, so I'll add another little twist to the "Blong" saga...don't know if it will be of any use to anyone...but their were "Blong/Blanc's" from County Kildare as welll...I have a John Blong b. circa 1885 County Kildare, who's father was George Blong...John Blong married Harriet Caroline Lawlor  20 Nov 1909, at St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church in Belfast....(the Lawlor side are my direct descendents).  This is about all the info I have on this family.  Hope it helps someone.
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 May 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
but their were "Blong/Blanc's" from County Kildare as welll. 

I would not put too much weight on that. The Co Kildare border (if there is one!) is only about 4 miles from Portarlington - where the Blongs settled originally in Ireland

So a Blong born in Kildare may have been born only a few miles from Portarlington
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 May 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there...

I'm just going by the 1911 census entry???? I have very limited info on this family, thanks for the insight I'll definitely keep that in mind while searching....thanks again.

Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline hepatea

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 June 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
My grandmother Amelia Blong was born in Widnes - could she be the daughter of Peter Blong that moved there from Ireland. Does anyone have details of Peter's children?

Offline brenig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 June 11 03:13 BST (UK) »
They would certainly be connected because quite a few came over to Widnes.

If you can email me on '*' it would be easier for me..

Brian

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:
  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 July 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, have only recently begun exploring my family's history and on the maternal side get back to Blanc/Blanche in Portarlington and to Hunter in Geashill. Blong, I know, is a variant of Blanc as is Blance, Blanch and Blanche. My great grandmother was Ellen Blance, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (nee Doyle) Blance of Kilbride (Portarlington). Ellen was born 8 August 1867. Ellen married William Johnston about 1907. Two daughters survived, Anne and Helen. I am a decendent of Helen Johnston. I have been looking but with little success for information on Henry Blance and Elizabeth Doyle. William Johnston came from Shandra (Portarlington). Son of James and Mary Anne (nee Hunter) Johnston. Mary Anne Hunter was from Geashill and her family lie buried in the graveyard at St. Mary's Church in that town. I wonder does anyone have information on the Hunter's of Geashill, particularly her father Ralph Hunter.

Thanks for any assistance.

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 22 July 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

A quick update;

My great grandmother as I wrote earlier was Ellen Blanc/Blance/Blanche - the spellings are common in birthcerts/census for her. I recently acquired Ellen's birthcert (b.8 August 1867) and her father is shown as a Henry Blance, however, the Registrar has crossed out an earlier entry (I assume) for a Henry Blong. I assume the error is a pronunciation one. When I started to search using Henry Blong I located two 'possible' siblings for Ellen. These siblings are a Henry Blong b.29 April 1875 and a Mary Anne Blong b.10 June 1870. All three siblings have as their father Henry Blong/Blance and mother Elizabeth Doyle and are born at Kilbride in the district of Emo.

Henry's profession is Farmer.

Any thoughts...

Offline redmargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 15 October 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Timothy Blong born April 1858 was my grandfather.  He was the son of Peter Blong and Mary Ann Cassidy who were married in January 1852 in the RC Church in Clonbulloque.  One of his sisters did marry a Quinn and my father and I met Pat Quinn in Clonmore when we traveled to Ireland in the 60's.   Pat Quinn's son, grandchildren and great granchildren still live in Clonmore.  My grandfather had eight siblings -- John b. April 1852, Ellen b. February 1854, Peter b. August 1856, Christopher b. March 1860, Michael b. August 1862, Mary Ann b. November 1867, and Katherine & Brigid b. January 1869.   The dates come from Church baptismal records.  My grandfather emigrated to Canada and from thence to the U.S. where he became a well known horseman in Pennsylvania.  Christopher also came to the U.S. and settled in Massachusetts and raised a family.

It is believed that my great grandfather Peter was the descendant of a Blanc or Le Blanc, a French Huguenot who came to Ireland in the army of William of Orange and that sometime in the late 18th or early 19th century the name became "anglicized" and the family became R.C.'s.

Part of the confusion in researching the family is that Blanc and Le Blanc were very common names among the French and there are many Blancs or Blongs in the Clonbullogue area who are not related to one another any more than all the Jones's or Smith's are related to one another.  When my father and I were in Ireland we also met members of a family that had retaken the name Blanc after using Blong and who lived near the Quinns in Clonmore but were not related to us.  The photo is a picture of the house where my grandfather grew up; the thatched roof was replaced with tin after the thatch burned.

Offline redmargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 15 October 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
Just read corisande's post on Blongs in Clonmore.   One "correction".  The cottage in which my grandfather Timothy grew up in Clonmore is still owned by the Quinn's though they live in newer houses they have built on the prpoperty.  When I was last there in 2003 the cottage was being used as a storage shed but I've heard from subsequent visitors that the Quinn's plan to restore it.  One of Pat Quinn's grandsons runs a car business of some sort in the area.