Author Topic: Trinidad Huggins Family  (Read 9905 times)

Offline SMJW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trinidad Huggins Family
« on: Sunday 01 November 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for the parents of Emma Isadora Huggins. She may have come from the St.Vincent Huggins. I believe she was related in some way to George F. Huggins the shipping magnate in Trinidad - they would have been contemporaries.
She was married to Richard Malcolm Steele in Trinidad 26 Apr 1881. Their son Albert Malcolm Steele was born 2 September 1883 in Port of Spain,Trinidad. Albert Malcolm Steele married Gladys Imogene Ottley who was born in 1887 and died in 1959. Albert & Gladys had 12 children including Audrey Violet Steele b 1908.
A Joseph S. Huggins was listed as witness at the wedding of Emma Huggins and Richard Steele on 26 April 1881 at the Parish Church of Holy Trinity Port of Spain, Trinidad.
I have a large family tree of Huggins family from St Vincent. I think Emma Isadora Huggins may be a descendant of one of the two sons of Joseph Stanley Huggins  1792-1830.  The sons were James Huggins 1818-1867 and Thomas Fairbain Huggins 1821-1879.
Hoping someone out there can help,
Thanks Susan
Watkins Suffolk England to Trinidad; Steele Grenada to Trinidad W.I.; Ottley Nevis to Trinidad W.I.; Huggins Trinidad & St. Vincent W.I. 1881-Present

Offline ghuggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Huggins Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan
I am a Huggins descended from St Vincent although i believe the name was inherited as my ancestors were indentured Indians around 1860-1880.

Would it be possible to have any info you have on the Huggins from St Vincent.

I've spent ages researching and i believe this will allow me to take it to the next step.

Many Thanks

Garry

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline SMJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
Have emailed you what I have, happy hunting, Susan
Watkins Suffolk England to Trinidad; Steele Grenada to Trinidad W.I.; Ottley Nevis to Trinidad W.I.; Huggins Trinidad & St. Vincent W.I. 1881-Present

Offline TyMin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, I am Wayne a direct descendant of the St. Vincent Huggins and also on a quest for info, Thanks for what you have posted so far please contact me so we can fill in some more gaps

Offline SMJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne, Please drop me an email at (*) and we can chat further. Cheers, Susan

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Offline Pittesque

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry,

I too descend from the St. Vincent Huggins family.  My grandfather's ancestors were indentured Indians as well.  I would love to connect and to find out what you've learned in your research.

Take care,
Carolyn

Hi Susan
I am a Huggins descended from St Vincent although i believe the name was inherited as my ancestors were indentured Indians around 1860-1880.

Would it be possible to have any info you have on the Huggins from St Vincent.

I've spent ages researching and i believe this will allow me to take it to the next step.

Many Thanks

Garry

Offline Pittesque

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Similar to Garry, my ancestors were indentured servants in St. Vincent who adopted the name Huggins during the mid 1800s, likely because they worked on one of their estates.

I would be very interested in any research regarding the Huggins family that you can provide.  Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Carolyn

Have emailed you what I have, happy hunting, Susan

Offline Pittesque

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne,

I too descend from a St. Vincent Huggins line and am very interested in any  research that you may have unearthed.   Thanks, and I look forward to being in contact.

All the best,
Carolyn

Hi Susan, I am Wayne a direct descendant of the St. Vincent Huggins and also on a quest for info, Thanks for what you have posted so far please contact me so we can fill in some more gaps

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 04:43 BST (UK) »
I'm curious if any of you who are Huggins descendants in Trinidad know how the family arrived there?  Do any of you have information about the original Huggins immigrants to the island, and who their ancestors were?  I have a friend whose surname is Huggins, grew up on the island, but doesn't know anything about the origin of the family.  I'm also trying to determine if my Huggins ancestors (in New England) have any close relation to the Huggins's who emigrated to Trinidad.  Thank you!
Wisconsin: Lytle, Young, Feldschau
Ontario/Scotland: Main, Steele
New York: Van Horne, Hipelius
Bavaria: Hipelius, Trost, Roser