Author Topic: 1815 birth Alexander Cairnduff Belfast  (Read 4917 times)

Offline JulieCairnduff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1815 birth Alexander Cairnduff Belfast
« on: Monday 02 November 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
If possible I would like to track down the birth details of Alexander Cairnduff. I I think he was born about 1815-1816 in Belfast.
He later moved to London and then migrated to Tasmania.
Any help or advice would be very appreciated.
Annetts: Australia and UK
Murgatroyd: Leeds, Yorkshire
Ward: Leeds, Yorkshire
Whittington or Whitington: Lambeth, London and Brighton; Sussex

Offline cairnduff

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1815 birth Alexander Cairnduff Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cairnduff/australia_tree.html

the above url is Alexander's line I too for some time have been trying to find out more about him but no luck so far his father died when he was young, and he was educated by Rev John Downes, I cannot find any details about his first marriage which seems odd?
other info I have is in the url below.some time ago I commissioned a search for him through the Ulster Historical Foundation no real answers were found... thanks Allan Cairnduff

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cairnduff/alexander_cairnduff.html

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 23 07:18 BST (UK) »
You may or may not know that he was a widower when he married Ann Eliza Banks 7 Oct 1871 Hobart, Tasmania and they had 3 chn.
He may have gained teaching certificate from Ulster Teachers' Association and at 21 was a tutor to the family of Robert Patton of Denaghadee, Hogstown. In Jun 1838, moved to Belfast as a master of the daily school connected with the Seaman's Friends Socity. In 1843, assistant schoolmaster Pentonville Prison, London.
First wife may have been called Margaret who arrived with him in Hobart Feb 1845. She died 17 Mar 1866, aged 66. He may have had another wife Sarah Ann Cato; wait another another Rachel Steven m. 1 Jan 1867 before he married Ann Banks.
His death The Mercury Hobart 13 Sep 1880 reads:
Cairnduff  On Sep 12 1880, at his residence Murray Street, Alexander Cainduff, after a long and painful illness, aged 63. Melbourne & Belfast papers please copy.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 23 07:54 BST (UK) »
JulieCairnduff, who started this thread, hasn't logged in since 2013, and cairnduff since 2028.

The Northern Whig, 24 Dec.1839 has mention of A. Cairnduff, Carrickfergus Boarding and Day School (I can only view a small snippet).
Another snippet I can see in Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 2 Nov.1840 says "Soiree of the Mechanics# Institute.- Mr. Cairnduff, the master of the school in connexion with this valuable institution gave a soiree to his day scholars in the long room of ..." may also refer to same person (Mr. Cairnduff still there in June 1843).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 23 09:13 BST (UK) »

…and at 21 was a tutor to the family of Robert Patton of Denaghadee, Hogstown.

For information-

Hogstown west of Donaghadee
https://www.townlands.ie/down/ards-lower/donaghadee/ballycross/hogstown/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Another snippet on Alexander Cairnduff, just in case the original person returns:

The Mercury newspaper in Hobart, on Mon 16 Dec 1867, reported the death of William Henry Banks on Sat 14 Dec 1867, as occurring at his father’s home, Upper Macquarie Street, Hobart. His death was a result of a painful illness. He was aged 19.

The Tasmanian Times on Tue 17 Dec 1867 adds further William Banks of the Pioneer Tent and that the Brethren of the Rising Star Tent will meet at the Tent Room this day (Tuesday), at one o’clock pm to attend the funeral, which will move from his late residence, Upper MacQuarie Street, opposite the Cascade Free School, at two o’clock.  A. Cairnduff    Secretary.

This death notice infers that William Henry Banks was a member of the Pioneer Tent Independent Order of Rechabites, that was only established in Feb of the same year. It is possible that this order was formed from the Methodist following in Hobart, who strongly forbade their members to drink wine. The reference to tents was in support of the normadic status of biblical Rechabites. As for the secretary mentioned A. Cairnduff [Alexander Cairnduff], not only is he known to be a schoolteacher from Belfast, Ireland, following the death of his third wife, he will marry Ann Eliza Banks 7 Oct 1871, the widow or partner of the above William Henry Banks, and raised the deceased’s daughter Isabel Graham Banks. [no marriage record found ... first cousins]

As we do not have a baptism record for William Henry Banks in Surrey, England, we cannot confirm his birthdate or age. We can state that he was actually the 12 year old orphaned son of Henry William Banks of Bermondsey and was most likely adopted by his uncle James Banks in 1859, in order for him to be brought to Hobart Town with his uncle’s family in that same year.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End