Author Topic: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda  (Read 35268 times)

Offline lorna llan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
For anyone who's interested in Bethesda history and Bethesda families--or wants to check if we have made mistakes--the Gwynedd Family History Society has now published the results of our labours in Glanogwen churchyard, transcriptions of all the Bethesda graves from about 1860 through the 1920's and up to the present. After the council cemetery at Coetmor was opened (1920's) the number of burials at Bethesda decreased, but there were still quite a few. Welsh gravestones give a lot of information in addition to a person's name, such as address and names of spouse or parents.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been told that all the pubs are on one side of the road, as Lord Penrhyn closed the pubs on the side he owned at the time of the Penrhyn Quarry strike. I'm sure some 'howgets' can elaborate.
The following is pasted from Wikipedia:

Most of the town is to the east and north east of the A5 road with housing packed onto the hill-side in irregular rows. This was due to the A5 marking the border of Lord Penrhyn's land, and the freehold land. This can still be seen in the layout of the current high street where all the public houses are only found on one side of the road.

EmyrBorth

Offline wmffra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 October 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna
I discovered last night that my g-grandparents are buried in Glanogwen Cemetery. They were John and Margaret Hughes with their address being given as 79 High Street.
Previous to that they lived in 6 Long Street, Gerlan from where  they buried 3 Children - Charlote Ellen, John Stephen and Hugh.
I think that the High Street address was that of their son, Edward who kept a Pork Butchers, or else their daughter Ellen who had a draper's shop in Penrhyn House opposite.
I wonder if you can add anything to that.
Regards
Alwyn

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 October 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Alwyn

Are you aware of the book 'Byd Go Iawn Un Nos Ola Leuad' recently published by John Elwyn Hughes? (possibly I refer to it in this thread. I haven't read  all the thread for a while)

The book (in Welsh) deals with the people behind the characters and the placenames in the Bethesda based novel Un Nos Ola Leuad by Caradog Pritchard which was set in early 20th C.

It deals with Porcsiop and has an advert by Edward T Hughes, High Street plus some photos of the shop etc. The shop was at 79 High Street

Penrhyn House was called Y Siop Ddu and there are some photos. It is shown though as being run by Roberts Bros

Gwil

Offline wmffra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 October 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gwil for that information.
Just been to the Library for Caradog Prichard's book and put in a request for that of J Elwyn Hughes.
Alwyn

Offline jini bach

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 November 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry to cut across the conversation, but I'm currently researching into Bethesda myself, and am very interested to find out more about Lorne House.  I notice that merchobont mentions that her grandparents used to run the place. I would very much like to get some more information...! Is merchobont still on this, is it possible to contact her directly? (new to the website!)
I kindly appreciate any help!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 November 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Is it Crompton House or Compton House?

Looking at Bethseda Chapel from the front to the left were "Shop No 1, Lloyds Bank and then Compton House (Cobbler's Shop - Siop J R Jones).

Looking on street view, it isn't where the DOB Trydanwr/Electrical shop is now. Rather, it fitted in under the arched window of the Funeral Directors next door and the Electrical shop.

What a coincidence! I took "Byd Go Iawn Un Nos Ola Leuad" out of the library this afternoon.

See what else I can find

Offline merchcymraeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 November 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Adding to Merchobont and Jinibach's posts

Lorne House was the newsagents opposite Penrhyn House

Coming down the high street you had on the LHS

Shop No1 (Bakers my mother worked there for years) - the entrance to the Park - Capel Bethesda - steps to the Youth Club - the Midland Bank and then Lorne House, followed by a small grocery/sweet shop and then Siop Bells.
As a howget this shop I remember it was ran by Sarah and Will (who lived in Carneddi Road, they had a son called Ronald).  Dot a regular church goer also worked in the Shop.  Its very possible that they bought the business from Merchobont's family.
I would be taught to recite by Aunti Sarah.  Both her and Uncle Will were not only regulars of the George Inn in Carneddi, but also good friends of my mother and fathers as well as my aunty and uncle in the george.

I can only recall Penrhyn House (aka Siop Ddu) it was more or less two doors down from Manchester House (which was ran by Nellie Tan Graig it sold wool, materials cotton etc). and next door to her was Mrs. Price's sweet shop.

hope this helps you out a bit more Jinnibach
hwyl
Griffith/Griffiths of Mold and Bethesda
Rowlands of Rachub, Bethesda
Rowlands, Thomas, Lewis - Pentraeth, Anglesey
Roberts - Amlwch
Williams - Benllech

Offline tylwyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 02:02 BST (UK) »
Siop Bontuchaf
I was very interested to find this thread.  I have been looking at my family tree and have found  a sister of my great grandmother who was living at the siop at the time of her death in 1900. She was the daughter of David and Sarah Evans of Glan'rafon. I have found the same shop mentioned in the Census but as far as I can see there is no address to determine which one it is.  What type of shop might it have been, any ideas? 
Incidentally, several members of the family all died within a short period, does anyone know whether there were any epidemics around at that time?
Please could you tell me whether the publication mentioned about the MI's of Coetmor and Glanogwen is available to buy?
Thank you for reading this, any help would be appreciated
EXALL - London and South Wales
LOCKYER - Somerset and South Wales
HENSON - Devon and South Wales
GREGORY - Somerset and South Wales
JAMES- Ferndale and Rhondda area & Maesteg
JENKINS/LEWIS/PRICE Llanddewi Aberarth/Aberystwyth
EVANS - Glanrafon, Llanllechid