Author Topic: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda  (Read 35484 times)

Offline Foxgloves70

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Quarryman:  Interested to find the only reference to where The Sportsman pub was located.  Have looked at google maps, streetview and either the dental surgery at No 3 was once two properties or No 1 has disappeared.  My great x3 grandmother's brother, Hugh Thomas was the publican in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  I can't find any trace of him and his family after that.  Another brother, David Thomas, was also a publican on the High street in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  No pub name here though and I only found out about the Sportsman from their father's death certificate.  Any further information would be welcomed.

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 01 July 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
Siop Bells was The Blue Bell pub.

Offline Cadnant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I`m looking for any info about the Cefnfaes Vaults. My Gt, Gt, Taid: Isaac Davies was Landlord there  around 1890 onwards .

Diolch.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 02 January 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Cadnant,
A warm welcome to Rootschat. Have you checked Welsh newspapers online? If not -
http://newspapers.library.wales

Put "cefnfaes vaults" in Search (include the "   " as part of search key).

Cofion cynnes

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 02 January 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool Mercury, 28 Sep 1894

"Bangor Brewster Sessions
Mr Lloyd Carter applied for the renewal of the license of the Cefnfaes Vaults, Bethseda, which was opposed by Mr D Owen who pointed out that there were within 280 yards no fewer than 16 fully licensed houses. Evidence in opposition to the renewal was given by Mr John Jones, bookseller, who stated that out of 42 houses down that side of the street 14 were public houses. The licence was renewed."

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 02 January 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Cadnant,
The London Gazette  http://thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Put "cefnfaes vaults" in Text search and click on "Update results"

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 02 January 20 11:35 GMT (UK) »
London Mercury, 29 Aug 1894

Bangor Sessions
"Mr D Owen said that in in addition to the objections by the police, he proposed objecting to the renewals of  the George and Dragon, Bangor; the Menai Bridge Vaults, Bethseda; and the Cefnfaes Vaults, Bethseda. Mr R S Dew, Mr W Thornton Jones, Mr Lloyd Carter and Mr Twigge Ellis appeared for the license holders, and the notices of the of the objections having been proved, it was decided to hear them at at an adjourned session on September 27th".

(The result of that adjourned session in the Liverpool Mercury item previously posted"

I was intrigued by some of the stats in the item -
" ... there were 120 houses and shops licensed for the sale of intoxicating liquors in the district ... The number in each parish was as follows:- Aber, 1, population 442; Bangor 82, one to every 140 of population; Llandegai 1, population 3246; Llanfairfechan 13, one to every 185; Llanllechid 23, one to every 211 of population"

Offline Cadnant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 05 January 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hanes Teulu,

Thank you for your welcome and the info you have supplied. There are some very interesting articles about the Cefnfaes Vaults.

This one, please click on the link was of particular interest and was from the time my family ran the pub.   https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3603003/3603009/68/cefnfaes%20vaults

This links in very well with a tale that my great nain stood up in a Temperance Meeting in the village and accused some of those present of being hypocrites. This as they were claiming to be tea total, but were coming to the back door of the pub for their beer.   

I understand that due to the hypocritical attitude of some of the tea totallers, and that of members for the chapel the family attended, that they (Isaac`s family) joined the Anglican church. I`m not sure which one but probably  Christ Church of Glanogwen.   

I`m on a mission to visit the cemeteries as soon as I can. I went to Glanogwen a few years ago but couldn`t find what I was looking for.

I believe Isaac was still at the Cefnfaes in 1900. This as there is an article in "Y Werin" ON 29th March 1900 saying that his son, Alfred had just retuned from the Boer War and had server under General Buller.  It seems that Alfred married a Jennie Roberts from Caernarfon on 17th May 1900.

In the 1901 Census, Isaac is a visitor at the Eagles Hotel, Caernarfon. This run by his son-in-law and daughter. On the staff as a barmaid is my great nain.    Isaac`s wife and Alfred are both at the Cefnfaes Vaults. Alfred is described as married, private in Royal Welsh Fusiliers, but wife is not on census.

By the 1911 census Isaac is no longer with us. His widow, Alfred and several other family members now live at4 Mostyn Terrace. Alfred is a quarryman, single and no mention of his wife ?   My great nain married in 1902, and in 1911 they were living at 13 Coetmor Mount. My great Taid, being William Henry Jones, Quarryman.   During the  "Great Strike" he had found work in South Wales, and Liverpool.

The Cefnfaes appears to have been closed due to the owner, Thomas Morris Jones going bankrupt in 1903. This as a result of the Great Strike.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3654125/3654131/39/cefnfaes%20vaults

Many thanks again, and hope you kind the above of some interest.

Cofion gorau.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 05 January 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Cadnant,
Glad you found newspapers on line useful.

Did you check on Isaac's "career" at the Pontrhyddallt Inn eg. The North Wales Express, 2 Feb 1883