Author Topic: Frederick Louis Roberts  (Read 2114 times)

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Louis Roberts
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about Frederick Louis Roberts. Born In Liverpool 1865. He is shown on 1881 UK census still living in Liverpool but he emigrated to USA between then and 1886.

I have a  Marksman certificate issued  by the Headquarters Department of Texas, Office of the inspector of rifle practice San Antonio July 20th 1886 to Frederick Louis Roberts Pvt. 8th Regt. of Cavalry.

I would be pleased to know if anyone has any knowledge of his army career, and if he survived, details of his life and any descendants.

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Louis Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Roberts, enlisted on April 13, 1901 at Broolyn NY, born Liverpool, England age 34 occupation plate printer, eyes blue, hair dark brown complextion dark, height 5'5"

Regiment 3rd Engineers Company M, Remarks: Disclid April 29, 1904 at Angel Isld, Cal. by expr. serv. 2 Cl. Pvt. Good

Based on his enlistment time and his discharge at Angel Island in 1904 is indicative of service in the Spanish American War.

Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
The Spanish American War was from 25 April 1898 to 10 Dec 1898.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
If merjones found your Frederick, you might be interested in reading about Angel Island:
http://www.angelisland.org/
There is quite a bit of information, including the history and photographs.

On a personal note, I visited the island (for the first time) two years ago.  The views from the island are outstanding.  Two of the historic buildings were open at the time...we were the only ones walking through the buildings - it was eerie and quiet.

PS  They also have a webcam, showing one of the beaches.  The beach is where the ferry boat docks.  (It won't be daylight here for another hour or so.)
-------------
http://www.angelisland.org/mcd02.html
Paragraph about the Discharge Camp.
The hospital at Fort McDowell was one of the buildings we walked through (first floor only).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi merjones

Thank you for the information re Frederick Roberts. However I'm not sure it relates to my Frederick Louis Roberts.

As I put in my post, I have a certificate which shows he enlisted in the 8th Cavalry sometime before Oct 1886. Would he therefore have enlisted again in 1901 in another unit?

The 1881 census in England shows his occupation as "Builders Clerk" whereas he is described in your findings as a plate printer.

Please let me have your comments.

Keith

Thanks Genealisa and lisa in California  for your contributions.

Offline 707nylon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to attach a photocopy of the certificate.
Keith

/Users/Keith/Desktop/Louis 201.tif