Author Topic: marriage details or divorce details  (Read 1738 times)

Offline DeeJayPeeCee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage details or divorce details
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi could anyone help me my Grandpa was married prior to marrying my Gran his name was George Donald and he came from the huntly area I know he was married prior to my gran but was divorced quite quickly as far as i know his first wife was called amy bailey and i think the marriage was in 1945 any details of the wedding or divorce would be greatfully appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: marriage details or divorce details
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives of Scotland online catalogue at www.nas.gov.uk lists a set of documents relating to the divorce of George T Donald v Amy Bailey or Donald, catalogue number CS258/25551. This will contain all the documents relating to the divorce, including the reasons for the petition and all supporting evidence.

The index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk confirms that George Donald and Amy Bailey were married in 1945. As this is more recent than 75 years ago, you cannot download an image of the marriage certificate, but you can order a copy through the web site, or you could get someone who is going to be in Register House to transcribe the details for you. There are links on the web site to lists of professional searchers who would do this for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.