Author Topic: Friars Goose (Gateshead) Alkali chemical works  (Read 4705 times)

Offline richyv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Friars Goose (Gateshead) Alkali chemical works
« on: Wednesday 04 November 09 11:56 GMT (UK) »
my 2xG Grabdfarther Danial Venus worked as a General Labourer in 1905, then around 1911 was a salt boiler,
i know the chemical works is no longer there, the sie produced products like soda, alum and Epsom salts
i think the plant was opend about 1828 and the Friars Goose Alkali works built the tallest chimney in England in 1833 to help with the pollution

Any further information would be appreciated

Offline richyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Friars Goose (Gateshead) Alkali chemical works
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 13:37 GMT (UK) »
i have just found this information and some pictures relating to the chemical works.

One of the most important factories in Felling was the Friar’s Goose Chemical Works, opened in 1827 by Anthony Clapham, a soap manufacturer. In 1833 the 263 feet high Clapham Chimney was built, at the time was the tallest chimney on Tyneside. After the chemical works went out of use in 1932 the 2 million ton spoil heap  was utilised for agricultural purposes, and the recovered land became East Gateshead Riverside Park in 1966

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/msl_local_histories_f?opendocument&ID=msl101
http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?f=&record=14&s=meadow&t=objects&type=all
http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?type=related&kv=2522&t=objects

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Friars Goose (Gateshead) Alkali chemical works
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Richyv.

I have traced my father's maternal side and my great grandmother's grandfather lived and worked at Low Heworth for quite a few years before moving back to north Northumberland.  He had a potential brother/cousin lived a few doors away as did another potential brother/cousin.  The 1841 census does not give where my ancestor lived nor his brother (s) but they were really in the thick of the industrial factory area.  By 1851 my direct ancestor had moved back over the water.  His brothers stayed at Low Heworth and worked at an Alkali Works at or near Low Heworth.  I decided to research why the family had moved so far from north Northumberland to the Durham area.  There is a book written by a local lady that is available in Gateshead library at the local history section.  It includes some fascinating information about the alkali works and also Friar's Goose - which apparently was where George Stephenson first worked and tried to device an air ventilation system.  I can't remember the lady's last name but her first was Joan - the surname was quite similar to Heworth.  I would really love though as I have said why the family moved there. The book would be interesting for you to look at.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same