Author Topic: Old Glasgow streets  (Read 18921 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Glasgow streets
« on: Thursday 05 November 09 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where these streets are or where:
1. Crail street (18)
2. Thornhill Street (20)
3. Drumover Drive, Tollcross (Whinston Villa*)
4. Duke Street Camlachie Glasgow (338)
5. Brown Street, Milton Glasgow (17)
6. Centre street (84)
7. Catherine Street. (21)
8. Kidston Street (105).

I have found one or two of them, but what I am trying to do is plot there movements on a map.

*Whinston Villa, Drumover Drive, is where Robert welsh Bisset Russell and Margaret Hamilton got married in 1911.  Could anyone tell me what the property was?  Such as belonging to one of the couples i.e. family home or was it the address of the local priest/vicar?

Lastly does anyone know where I can find photos of these addresses?

Thanks
regards Trish

Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline jackiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Glasgow streets
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Look at the Mitchell Library website.  Most of them are on there.  Drumover Drive looks to be Drumother Drive and they have a picture of it from 1905.

Jackie

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi will do, thanks for the Drumother drive, I was deciphering from a badly written wedding certificate.  However, does anyone know where Whinston Villa was in Drumother Drive?

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline jackiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Heres a link about Drumover/Drumother Drive.  The cert was probably right.

http://www.rcpsg.ac.uk/hdrg/2006May3.htm

Jackie

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
The first 4 are all in the east end of Glasgow (Crail Street still stands)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thornhill Street ran off of Crail Street.

Centre Street -- there were 2 such streets 1 was in Whiteinch to the west end of Glasgow and the other was nearer the central area but was on the south side of the river and ran off of Clyde Place - it can still be found on google maps.

Catherine Street - again there were 2 such streets - 1 was just north of the current City Centre (off of parliamentary Road) and the other was in the east End off of Tobago Street.

Kidston Street was in hutchesontown in what is now regarded as the Gorbals area of Glasgow - the name is still used in the area but is Kidston Terrace - there is nothing of the original area left.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, will take a look at the street maps.  Any idea which house was Whinston Villa in Drumother/Drumover Drive?

Regards Trish

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »
It may have been number 94 which in the 1927 directory was listed as a Manse and the home of a Rev. Shepherd. (by 1943/44 it's the home of Rev. Campbell).

Unfortunately neither directory identies it as Whinston Villa but as it is the manse for the church and the manse was the most common place to get married it could be a reasonable assumption to make.

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Coming home from work yesterday I was passing Drumover Drive so I stopped and decided to have a look for Whinston Villa.  Drumover Drive should be re-named Cardiac Hill,  :D anyway when I got my breath back at the top I found #94 which is a fairly large detached villa and now occupied by Kirktonholme Nursery.  Part of the sandstone above the doorway appears to have had a name, however, it is impossible to make out what it was although Whinston Villa could probably fit. I didn't have my camera with me but if you are still looking for photos I could go again (by car) and could photograph Crail St too.  Let me know if you still want photographs.

Cammy