Author Topic: Old Glasgow streets  (Read 18894 times)

Offline Jessie Lou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Glasgow streets
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 November 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, It's been awhile since you posted you initial post and I was intrigued that your post had the street address of where my grandfather was born in 1917 at 20 Thornhill Street, Glasgow. Would you know if this address was a hospital or a house? Looking forward to hearing your reply. Kind regards Jessie Lou
Arnold; Crook; Cummings; Entwhistle; Fox; Graham; Green; Gumbleton; Mahoney; Merefield; Neve (Neave, Neves); Nutall; Oxford; Pili; Ticehurst; Wilson; Wotherspoon

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 November 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
20 Thornhill Street was a tenement building housing 12 families.  All the tenements are now gone but the street still exists as Thornhill Path.

Cammy

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 November 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, It's been awhile since you posted you initial post and I was intrigued that your post had the street address of where my grandfather was born in 1917 at 20 Thornhill Street, Glasgow. Would you know if this address was a hospital or a house? Looking forward to hearing your reply. Kind regards Jessie Lou

Welcome to Rootschat ... as Cammy says that address in Thornhill Street was a tenement building (apartment block) - in any case hospital births at that time were a rarity with the most common place of birth being either at the mothers home address or at her parents.

Offline macberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Crail street is in parkhead G31.  There has been changes around there, but a good deal of the old buildings are still around.
Berry and Shilton from West Bromwich and Rushall ....Dawend in Staffordshire

Offline weenib

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 June 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all, 94Drumover drive was my family home for 26 years.It was bought in 1957 by my dad and sold in 87,my parents then retiring to Australia.It was the manse for Barlinnie prison and had small stables in the back garden and accomodation for a ostler.I,ve met a few people who were married in our lounge room ,having been taken  from prison to be married.The manse for Parkhead Congregational church was across the road probably no 89.The reverend Dr Nelson Gray was living there when I was in my teens.I have been told that when Mary Stuart was going to the battle of Langside,she instructed her drummers to"" Drum over the hill "to let warn of her approach to Battlefield.No 68 was the first house built Hope this helps

Offline Jessie Lou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to Rootschat ... as Cammy says that address in Thornhill Street was a tenement building (apartment block) - in any case hospital births at that time were a rarity with the most common place of birth being either at the mothers home address or at her parents.

Belated thanks Falkyrn and Cammy, I’m pretty sure it was my grandfathers grandparents residence. This search is a challenge especially when I’m on the other side of the world 😞
Arnold; Crook; Cummings; Entwhistle; Fox; Graham; Green; Gumbleton; Mahoney; Merefield; Neve (Neave, Neves); Nutall; Oxford; Pili; Ticehurst; Wilson; Wotherspoon

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where Gallowgate Street was in Glasgow?
Quinn, McDermott, McGuigan, Toal, Wright, Kerr, O'Hara, Smith, McCrea, McKAy, Cunningham, MacFarlane, Mairs, Cassidy, Copeland, Lamond, Brannan, McHendrie, Clark, Strachan, Dollan, McCOig, McCardle, Welsh

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Some details here https://canmore.org.uk/site/161785/glasgow-gallowgate-general

Added: See also www.rootschat.com/links/01nkw/  - link shrunk from google books.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk