Author Topic: searching for my mother  (Read 7758 times)

Offline kaz24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for my mother
« on: Friday 06 November 09 08:52 GMT (UK) »
hi
my mother was born in kulp river in 1904 and came to england after her marriage...she died in child birth in 1933 when i was 2 but because my father abandoned the family i was raised in an orphange and never found out any more about her family or history. I am trying to do that now and any help would be really appreciated.
her name was lilian jane green and her fathers name was walter george green and her mother was alice osborne.... klip river, ladysmith, natal, south africa her place of birth... if anyone can help me find out anything about the family i would love it.
i am going to capetown to visit next week and although i cant make it onto natal i wonder if anyone knows where i could look for national information in capetown maybe
thankyou

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
Re: searching for my mother
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello kaz24, and welcome to RootsChat,

Take a look at this posting on the South Africa board, it contains several links to sites for searching in SA http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26246.0.html

Maybe one of the moderators will move this post to the SA board for you where you will get more help.

Happy hunting
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline kaz24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
thankyou  ;D

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaz

There is a tree with 3 people on it on another site, including your mother!
I will send you a personal message with details

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline wizzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 10 17:23 GMT (UK) »
My name is David and I am related to Peter who is one of the children of Lilian Jane Green the others to my knowledge being Yvonne, Sheila and James. Which one of these would you be?  Or are you yet another child of this union

Regards

Offline malcolmstevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 December 10 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I know it is a year later, but I am very interested in following up on this thread.

I am tracing the family of Elizabeth Caroline Osborne (my 2*great grandmother) born circa 1861. She married Jeffrey Horsman in 1886 in Pmb. I looked at the death notice for Alice Green Nee Osborne and one of her children was Jeffrey Horsman Green. Unless a one-in-a-million coincidence, I would think that Alice and Elizabeth Caroline were sisters. I am very intersted in confirming this, uncovering other siblings and then of course uncovering the ancestors of Alice and Elizabeth Caroline. I believe Alice's parents are Alfred George Osborne and Regina Maria (maiden surname unknown).

Any information on the Osborne family would be hugely appreciated. I am particularly interested in knowing:

- Where in England they eminated from and when they came to South Africa
- What religion they practised in Natal
- Where they lived etc
- Dates and places of birth, marriage, death etc

I am happy to share whatever info I have.

regards
Malcolm Stevens

Offline malcolmstevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 December 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
David, hi

Would you mind contacting me off-board as I am interested in the Osborne family from the Ladysmith region. My email address is *

regards
Malcolm

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline malcolmrstevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Today I found the Anglican church burial entry for Regina Maria Osborne, as follows:

Buried at All Saints church, Ladysmith, Natal on 15 Mar 1898 aged 55. Serviced performed by Jos. Barker.

regards
Malcolm

Offline wizzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 February 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Re Lillian Green and Osborn family

I've had contact with informant who tells me that  Lilian Jane Green was one of 9 children to Walter George Green who was married to Alice Florence Osborne.     Alice Florence was born and died in Ladysmith.     Her parents were  George Osborne and Regina Echaardt.

David