Author Topic: Durham, Gateshead census look-up request, McKays of Dalkeith  (Read 2107 times)

Offline paul_niab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Durham, Gateshead census look-up request, McKays of Dalkeith
« on: Thursday 10 March 05 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, if anyone has the time to look-up the following family for me in either of the 1851 or 1861 census returns I'd be very grateful:

My 3xgreat grandparents, John and Elizabeth McKay were married at Dalkeith in 1842. My great-great grandmother, Catherine McKay, was christened at Dalkeith in 1843.
The family were no longer at Dalkieth by the 1851 census. Catherine is in the 1881 census, married as Catherine Moody, at Gateshead. I'm trying to date the families migration south, so if they can be found in census for the area in 1851 or 1861, that would very helpful.

Thankyou for looking, best regards, Paul

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham, Gateshead census look-up request, McKays of Dalkeith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
As Catherone had kids b Newcastle in the 1870s I found her there in 1871 easily.  Do you have that?   26 Water St
William 29 Fitter b Hexham
Catheine 27 b Edinburgh
Mary E 3
Frances 1 both b Newcastle
  What occupation was John McKay?   
There is a Draper aged 80 father in law with the Watson family in Durham in 1871.
Can't help with the earlier census I am afraid.
Andrea

Offline paul_niab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 05 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes i do have that 1871 census info. I put a similar request on the Northumberland page as the family could have been in either county during the period, and got a reply with that info in.
I know that Catherine and William Moody married in 1867, but little else before that back until the Dalkeith register entries. That's why I'm keen to find them on the 1851 or '61 census; so that, I can figure out a bit more about their movements south from Scotland and about their occupations, particularly my McKay ancestors.

Thanks for your help, Paul

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul
I'm replying to a very old message but only just discovered it!  The McKay's are my relatives, Catherine was the daughter I could not trace.  John McKay died in 1853 in Newcastle which is probably why you couldn't definitely identify the records.  Please contact me if you wish for further info.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Paul has not been on Rootschat since 2005 but if he has not changed his email he should get a notification of your reply or you could try a personal message.   Let us hope you can make contact.

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
I've sent a personal message but I'm not holding out for a response - ten years is a long time to keep the same email address, so thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Paul has not been on Rootschat since 2005 but if he has not changed his email he should get a notification of your reply or you could try a personal message.   Let us hope you can make contact. [end of quote.]

Just to update, Paul was in touch with me via Ancestry this weekend so I only waited a few years!    I could confirm that the family removed to Newcastle upon Tyne by 1850 as my great grandmother (Catherine's younger sister) was born there.  However I did not trace the family in 1851.  Their sibling Alexander McKay born in 1848 I managed to trace from his marriage record, but not his birth.

Great to know that the system works from the first message in 2005 then 2015 and now 2019.  Thanks for all the help.