Author Topic: William BASTARD of Gerston  (Read 3729 times)

Offline cjw66

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BASTARD of Gerston
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry but I only joined Rootschat yesterday and I put this on the beginners board - oops, so I have re attached it to Devon, hope that's OK to do.

I've been stuck on a link in my tree for ages, and wonder if fresh eyes may help.
The family is Bastard - honest, I'm not being rude.
William Bastard   b. C1723 Gerston Devon d. 1766 Kent, m 1750 in Kent to Elizabeth Mezzan. They had 9 issue from 1749 - 1762 all born Kent. Sarah 1749, Rebecca 1750, Mary 1752, John 1753, James 1754, Richard 1756, Elizabeth 1758, Susanna 1760, Isabella 1762. I know info on these kids and can confirm them.

However, parents of these kids, William Bastard & Elizabeth Mezzan are best fit, as I can't find a concrete confirmation on them or  get back further from William 1723.

I have a link on www.kitleyhousehotel.com that gives the Bastard family from the Doomesday Book onto the mid 17th C, but with the missing 100 yrs or so I cannot link it onto what I know so far. I think that somewhere the name Pollexfen/Pollexfin may come into it somewhere. The stuff on the Kitley site show where the name comes from, and yes its an illigitimate - child from one of the followers who came over with William the conquer.

Hepburn did reply via my wrong place attachment and directed me to someone else on another forum looking for William, have followed that link, and yes it is the same William but we are both stuck at the same point. (Thank you Hepburn it confirms that I'm along the right roots so far)
Thank you for any assistance. I love this site everyone is so helpful and very knowledgable, sorry I did muck it up yesterday by posting in wrong place.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: William BASTARD of Gerston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Gerston in Devon could be one of 3 locations:
Gerston (house, farm) - in West Alvington
Gerston House (house) - in Paignton
Gerston Inn (inn) - in Paignton
West Alvington baptisms for this time period can be found at  http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~our4bears/A~VIW.htm
Paignton baptisms are online via the IGI, and there is no evidence of him there, although a Richard BASTARD was baptising there in 1717 & 1719 (sons Edward & Richard).
A William BASTARD was baptised at nearby Brixham (3.7 miles from Paignton) 1 Mar 1723, son of William & Amey.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline cjw66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, to see if I can prove if William and Amey are the parents of my William 1723,  :) I have just put a post on Kent as I belive that William and Elizabeth Mezzan were m in 1750 Kent, so wondering if parents or at least fathers name will be on banns. Also their children to see if William and Elizabeth are indeed the parents which I have used as best fit.

Have looked at the link you gave, wow, have written it all down and if can find any more info via Kent then maybe able to link.

On the link, I was interested to see Pollexfen Bastard in births and John Pollexfen in deaths, because someone on an ancetry site has the same info as me, but she was recently sent a copy of her grt grans address book and surnames of Bastard and Pollexfen were in the book. Could be something.

Thank you for everything you've done  :-*

Offline hendren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
There was still a family called Bastard living in the area in the 1900s.

I'm pretty sure they were living at Flete House, which isn't far from Kitley.

It has a private beach and from what I can remember, one morning the son and

last heir took his own life by swimming out to sea and drowning.

I'm not to sure which decade it was, could be 40/50s or 60s

Maureen
Stringer Shoreditch Belfast Liverpool
Bradshaw Belfast
Jones Holywell Flintshire
Hendren Ayrshire
Maurer  France Ayrshire

Offline CBlackwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
I'm also directly descended from William Bastard that married Elizabeth Mezzen and have exactly the same problem, I'm trying to find the connection between the Bastards of Kitely and my family. Would be really interested to know if you discovered the link!

Many thanks

Claire

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
I think that Hendren is referring to Anthony Bingham Mildmay, 2nd Baron Mildmay of Flete who tragically drowned in the 1950s.
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
The words William, Bastard, and Gerston, suggest to me that you should be aiming your research at the parish of West Alvington (and possibly the adjacent parish of Churchstow).

Have you looked at this site?

http://teresa-goatham.me.uk/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I20130&tree=tree1

It doesn't seem to have the answer you seek but I think it points in the right direction.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Suggestion for your consideration as possible parents for William. Pollexfen Bastard and Lady Bridget Poulett, married about 1724. Son, William, baptised 2nd September 1727 at Yealmpton. This couple also had children baptised at West Alvington. The Bastard family certainly owned Gerston in the parish of West Alvington and it seems likely that Pollexfen and Lady Bridget would have resided there.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 April 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Cancel the last suggestion. William Bastard, the son of Pollexfen Bastard, married Anne Worsley in 1754. Anne died in 1765.