Author Topic: Pattersons of Forfar and Kinnell  (Read 6697 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Pattersons of Forfar and Kinnell
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 December 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I do have her in the 1841 census. 
Name:
Ilspeth Colder 
With spelling like that, I am not surprised that I failed to find her!

Spout Street, by the way, is the former name of what is now the part of Castle Street north of its junction with Queen Street.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 December 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
forarian--I know!  it was shear luck I happened upon it.  I think I eventually searched under the husband, whose last name is indexed correctly and that's how I found them :)
Merry Christmans! ;D
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 December 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Breaky,

there may still be a connection yet.  My Jean Cuthill married James Patterson; their daughter Jean Patterson married David Forbes.  Their child George Forbes married Ann Anderson.  They were in Kirkden/Froickheim with their children. Don't have the exact years handy.  But Ann (Anderson) Forbes, if I remember, died in Inverkeilor.  So...it's conceivable that others in the family also wound up there as well.  Now I'm wondering about the siblings of Jean etc...
Merry Christmas!
Jen
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline Ellen M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 July 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,
In trying to find Thomas Patterson born 1800, Kinnell, I quite by chance found these posts.  I had found conflicting marriage records for his parents James Paterson and Jean Cothill, 26 Nov 1796 Carmyllie and 12 Dec 1796 Kinnell. As I thought maybe somehow the places were connected, I googled them
and found the post.  Very exciting for me as Thomas's daughter Helen (Ellen) Nicholson Patterson was my GG paternal grandmother, for whom I am named.
I am still absorbing all the information, but it would be great to connect and I would be happy to share what information I have on Ellen and her family.  She and her husband Robert Baxter immigrated to the US early 1880s.
Ellen

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen...I replied to your PM message as well :).  This is the correct family and looks like we're distant cousins!  Have quite a bit on this line but not so much on Thomas Patterson's children so would appreciate any information you have!
Best,
Jennifer

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladies - I too have Paterson/Patterson and Anderson heritage form this area of Scotland. If you have any of the the following  i would be happy to exchange for information.
It is said that John Paterson married Margaret Thomson who begat Grisill Patterson christened 27.11.1698 at Tulliallan. She married George Davidson in 1725 at Tulliallan. They had a son John Davidson who married Janet Archibald in 1771 Tulliallan. Their daughter Christian Davidson married James Wallace in 1790 Kettins. their daughter Jean/Jane Wallace christened 1796 Kettins married Andrew Anderson  in 1818.

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 August 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

Wow!  You've been able to get quite far back in your tree!  I'm impressed and a bit jealous!  My earliest Patterson/Paterson is James Paterson b. approximately 1767.  I'm uncertain of his place of birth.  some people have him born in Latheron, Caithness, Scotland to Alexander Paterson & Elizabeth Sutherland although I've not been able to confirm that.  My James Paterson married Jean Cothill/Cuthill on 12 Dec 1796 in Kinnell,Angus/Forfarshire. 

I too have a Andrew Anderson, but he was born in Marykirk Kincardineshire in 1769 to James Anderson & Helen Piper.  He married twice, to Anne Millar and then to Anne Reid.

Think our lines may cross at some point but not apparent yet!

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 August 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen5525,
i would like to CONFIRM  my previous thread so i put all of that  heritage line  out there. " it is said" by a couple of 'family' sources. Occassionally we get  lucky and tap into other parallel  family lines. Best of luck in your Genie journey.

This stems from my YOOLOW tree that goes back to Robert Yoolow born circa 1610. This starts my strong family connection to the area around Kettins. Two other of my family names  Anderson of Dundee and Patullo of St Madoes are also in 'the mix'.

Cheers
Jack
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack...Yes, still lots to confirm in my tree as well! I'll let you know if I come across anything that matches your tree :)