Author Topic: More PARKs  (Read 38092 times)

Offline Ruth Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: More PARKs
« Reply #36 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Thank you for your reply. Iam very new to this site and do nt know how to PM. However I should very much like copies of the certificates you mentioned .I am in Lancashire.
Ruth

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth , you should be able to send me a PM (personal message ) now you have made 3 posts.l have sent 1 to you that you should be able to click on at top of page when you log on. If you don't see it click on my name against this post and on the left of the details you' ll see send PM.
Hope this makes sense. Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 14 March 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth

My husband is descended from Robert Park, the 7th child of William Park and Jane Hayhurst

Your ancestor Jane was the  2nd eldest child (eldest daughter) of William and Jane

We have a handwritten chart of the birthdays of all 20 children ................. written in beautiful copperplate writing by one of the children.

According to that chart, Jane was born 30 December 1833, and was baptised 26 January 1834 in Preston Patrick.

She married Robert Ainsworth March quart 1853, registered Kendal.

You are quite right in that several of the Parks and Hayhursts were corn millers and farmers ........ they moved between the Whittington area of Lancashire and the Preston Patrick area of Westmorland (near Kendal).

They are quite a difficult family to sort out ................ the same forenames are used over and over again, and cousins with similar names exchange mills in Whittington and the Preston Patrick area with some regularity!

I have seen it suggested that the Hayhursts were Quakers, and that they suffered some persecution because of that ............. moving when it got too bad!

Certainly Jane Hayhurst's grandfather, Robert Hayhurst (1767-1842), was a devout Quaker who preached at Brigg Flatts Meeting House in Sedbergh.

At the same time, they got married, baptised and buried in the Church of England
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 March 15 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Ruth

did you know that Jane Park was living in Farringdon, Lancashire in 1851, as house servant to John and Martha Barrett and family, a tanner and skinner employing 26 men, at Tannery, Farrington Cottage, Farrington, Lancashire.

This presumably is how she came to meet Robert Ainsworth
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 March 15 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a note to say that I posted an update on the John Park and Elizabeth Airey thread, so it should be easier for Ruth to find.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 April 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
gt gtg gt grandma
Baptism/Death etc.

Ellen PARK was baptised at St Mark, Natland on the 25 Dec 1768. She was the daughter of William PARK and his wife Mary. Ellen died on the 23 May 1823. A newspaper death notice records her as the relict of Mr. Robert HINDE, auctioneer, of Kendal, aged 54. Ellen's father, William PARK, died on the 6 May 1805. His will mentions his daughter Elinor, the wife of Robert HIND of Kendal and their daughter Mary. Both William and his wife Mary were buried in Kendal. Their MI reads 'In Memory of Mary Park wife of William Park of Storth-End who died 27 April 1796 aged 73 years. And of the above William Park who died 6 May 1805 aged 81 years'. William PARK married Mary ASHTON (a widow) in Kendal on the 14 Jun 1755. Both were recorded as being from Natland. It appears possible** that Mary ASHTON was the widow of Joseph ASHTON of Natland. Joseph ASHTON married Mary ROBINSON (both of Natland) in Kendal on the 29 Dec 1748. Their son John ASHTON married Mary NELSON of Old Hutton in 1775. Mary NELSON was the aunt of Robert HINDE of Old Hutton (bapt. 1768). (** However, the marriage bond for William PARK & Mary ASHTON records Mary's name three times as Mary HAISTING, each time the HAISTING being crossed-out and replaced by ASHTON. Note that a Richard ASHTON alias HAISTING of Natland was buried in Kendal on the 26 Aug 1767. This may have been the Richard born to Joseph ASHTON & Mary and baptised in Natland in 1749, although this doesn't appear to help explain the alias.)
Death, etc.

Robert died on the 6 Jul 1820. Note that his will, dated the 4 Jul 1820 (made shortly after his terrible accident), was witnessed by Jos GOULDEN - presumably his son-in-law to be. Robert was in his 53rd year. This implies that he was born circa 1768. Although still to be proven, it is possible that Robert was the son of Robert HINDE & Ann NELSON of Greenfoot in Old Hutton, who was baptised in Old Hutton on the 28 Aug 1768. This Robert was still alive in 1788 when he signed as a witness to the marriage of my 4x great grandparents in Old Hutton. The will of Ann NELSON's second husband (John MACKERETH), dated the 25 Sep 1830, mentions his step-son, John HIND of Bolton le Moors, the son of his late wife. This John HIND(E) was Ann's eldest son, baptised in Old Hutton on the 17 Feb 1763. As Ann's son Robert was not mentioned within John MACKERETH's will, it would appear that he was deceased by 1830. If the Robert HINDE of Old Hutton (bapt. 1768) died within Westmorland, then the only known candidate is your Robert of Kendal.
Death, etc.

Mary died on Tuesday the 17 Jul 1838. A newspaper death notice states that she was aged 46, the wife of Mr. Joseph GOULDEN (auctioneer) and the daughter of the late Mr. Robert HINDE of Kendal. John BROCKELBANK appears to have been buried in Kendal on the 11 Oct 1820, aged 32. Mary then married Joseph GOULDEN on the 1 Oct 1821 in Burneside (nr Kendal). Marriage notices confirm that Mrs. BROCKLEBANK was the daughter of the late Mr. Robert HINDE (auctioneer) of Kendal. Mary had a further 8 children from her 2nd marriage. Note that the youngest child was named William Park GOULDEN. Her daughter Ellen TAYLOR (nee GOULDEN) also had a son named Robert Hind TAYLOR.
Robert Hine/Hind headstone in Kendal parish Church .

This monument is erected to the memory of Robert Hind-- auctioneer.. Late of Kendal. by the assiduous discharge of the duties .of his strict attention to the duties of his employers he gained the confidence of his friends ,his public spirit and independence of mind were known to all. he was severely wounded by the sudden explosion of an cannon that he survive the accident by only two days, he die prematurely reconciled to his fate depending on the mercy of his creator ,in the 53rd year of his age on the 6th July MDCCCXX . Sincerely and deeply regretted . and his wife Ellenor -Widow of Robert Hind who died 25th May 1823 age 54,
1 - 8 of 8
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 April 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Please find below my family of Robert Hind and Eleanor parks . This was submitted to my tree in 2013 and i have only noticed all their hard work today . I am sure there will be some helpful information to fellow Park /Hind / Kendal watchers here . Robert Hind is my 4th great grandfather .  fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 06 April 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan.
thanks for all the Parks/ Hind info.
My thinking is that William Park of Killington,son of Wm.Park of Storth End is probably the William Park married to Jane Rigg who is in turn father to John Park who marries Elizabeth Airey of Dent and settles in Old Hutton. Can anybody shed any light on this ?
Storth End is still there just off the main road between the M6 and Kendal. I think the farm at Killington must be under the lake. John Park was a joiner and farmer at Ewe bank near Old Hutton but I can't identify the property. I can't find a will for either Wm.Park (Jun) or John Park.
Sue

Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 03:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi Another member of my tree . I had seen he was the son of Robert and Mary before now . i believe he is  Robert Matthew Hind  but this is first time I have seen actual dates ...
I have had a lot of help from Peter Fawcett in this tree. TY .

'' Robert & Ellen also had a son named Robert, born on the 31 Jan 1791 and baptised at St Thomas, Crosscrake, on the 13 Mar 1791. The baptism entry records Robert (snr) as a husbandman of Endmoor and Ellen as the daughter of William Park of Storth End.''
 I thought it was CROSSTHWAITE ,SO WILL LOOK UP AREA AGAIN .
Fred.