Author Topic: Charles Goodwillie  (Read 16256 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Goodwillie
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
might be worth a post on the NZ board??

Diddy  ;)
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddy
I have exhausted the Kiwi connection - and as a NZ resident that wasn't hard -very small population! And as the Goodwillie descendants were originally all South Island based -an even smaller population!!
The Maori connection via Kura [wife of Charles Goodwillie] and Caroline Hunt aka Queenie [the wife of Charles Goodwillie#2-son ofCharles]is a verbal history passed down through generations -it is called the whakapapa - but there are a few gaps there which must be pursued by other members of the family [in the Maori world family is referred to as whanau -wh is pronounced as 'f'] and I am trying for the only truly unknown /untraceable aspect to fill the gap in the history.
It feels very strange to say that we only started as a family in 1840.....because we have no information about Charles Goodwillie.
Queenie
Am determined to solve the mystery
Thanks for the tremendously helpful and patience you have shown me.
Yes Caroline is a family name and the pet name of Queenie follows through generations often bestowed on the eldest daughter- that relates to Queen Victoria - much loved and respected monarch of the era.
Atkinson. Empson. Overton. Lynch. Revell. Wood. Peagram. Stanford-Davis.Savins.

Offline Stuartd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I also have Goodwillie ancestors from Fife in Scotland but haven’t quite managed a connection to the New Zealand crew, but I’m sure it’s there. I have the following snippets of information which may be of use.

There was a Charles Goodwillie, an engineer from Strathmiglo in Fife who went to New Zealand about 1838 and married Kura on Stewart Island in 1844. In 1851 he was presumed dead.
Charles and Kura had two children:
(1)   Charles who had 12 children (Caroline, Charles, Mary, John, Catharine, Jane, Charlotte, Rachael, Albert, George, Thomas, Marion).
(2)   Charlotte who married John Davidson

I also have a note of a Charles Goodwillie who was born early 1800's and married Ngai Tahu Maori Kaumatua. Not sure if this is the same person.

Also the following from Riverton Cemetery, Southland Province, New Zealand:

Goodwillie, Caroline (Hunt), d. 25 Dec. 1907, age: 66yr, Beloved w/o Charles Goodwillie, s/w Marion and Thomas, [PA]
Goodwillie, Charles, d. 2 Dec 1930, age: 90yr, s/w Caroline, s/o Caroline & Charles Goodwillie, [PA]
Goodwillie, Marion, d. 17 Jun 1898, age: 16yr, s/w Caroline, d/o Caroline & Charles Goodwillie, [PA]
Goodwillie, Thomas Edward, d. 1 Nov 1906, age: 29yr, s/w Caroline Goodwillie age different in family records, [PA]

Good Luck!
Bowie, Liddle, Erskine, Combe, Watt, Goodwillie, Donaldson, Dunn, Marr, Johnson (Shetland).

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 December 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi StuartD
Thank you very much. This is information I have already and yes the Goodwillie who married a Ngai Tahu kaumatua in the 1800's was Charles Goodwillie who married Kura.
I am grateful for any help at all as I feel someone must have a link to 'my' Charles Goodwillie.
But  perhaps he was a orphan with no siblings??  - that would account for not being able to find any information about him.
I am ever hopeful that eventually I will be able to extend the family tree.
We probably are related - we just don't know it yet - lol.
Queenie

Offline koozer65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
My fathers name was Charles Frederick Goodwillie born 1901 at longwoods near colac bay I am very interested in any information he died 1983 and is buried at the Riverton cemetery

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am the great grandaughter of Charles William Goodwillie who was your fathers' uncle.
I don't know much about your father  - two marriages -Hera Davis and Ruby Duncan - but I am in communication with two of your sisters and have passed info onto them.
You could PM me if you would like a little more info about the Goodwillie family.

Offline koozer65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 April 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
hey there queenie any info you have would be great im new to this you can email me at (*) cheers

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline arohaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 07:54 GMT (UK) »
HI guys/girls.. I was looking a someones facebook site and they had been give some pics from 1900 that were found at a Rubbish Dump. It had on it "Charlie Goodwillies gang came from Blackhead, Shearers 1900 at Motuotaraia"  If you want to see the pic drop me a line and I will email them through to you. The people in the photo aren't named bbut they are all Maori.

Aroha Allen

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora Aroha
I would be thrilled to have  photo of the shearing gang. I think this is Charles Goodwillie #2 [son of Charles and Kura and father of my great grandfather Charles #3] as he was well known in the shearing gangs in Southland.
I think Roots Chat requires three messages from you before you can PM me. The procedure doesn't allow email address's in the public forum.
Does that make sense?
Queenie