Author Topic: Llan Ffestiniog help with street names please  (Read 5301 times)

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
Llan Ffestiniog help with street names please
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello
On my grandfathers birth certificate it says he was born at Closygraig  Festiniog in 1884, on the 1881 and 1891 census the family are living at Closygraig Terr ,  on the 1901 census their address is Tanyfron Terr ; my great grandfather dies at that address in 1900, I cannot find where he is buried having searched all of Blaenau Ffestiniog burial records  I have been told Closygraig Terr became Tanyfron Terr at sometime ,

Having found my grandfathers war details he says he was born in LLan Festiniog , so have I been looking in the wrong place for his fathers burial place  what are the church or chapels called for LLan , and was the above address in Llan Festiniog not Blaenau Festiniog as I had always thought any help appreciated
 Kind Regards Mrs griff
Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llan Ffestiniog help with street names please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that Closygraig later became Tanyfron. This street stood where ‘Lord street’ stands today in Blaenau Ffestiniog.

The church in Llan Ffestiniog is St Michael’s

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
It would help if you gave your grandfather's name.
Emyr

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for replying to my post as you can see I posted the message 2009 ! My grandfather's name was William Roberts on his birth certificate it says born 1884 Closygraig Festiniog  his father was John Roberts died 2 Tanyfron Terrace December 1900 it was his burial place I was looking for a RC person found it in St Michaels but there was no headstone ... I also could find no more info on his wife Jane Roberts who was living at the same address at his time of his death I have never found a death for her .
Kind Regards
Mrs griff

Roberts,  Williams.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Ffestiniog Church Register records his death as you say. Some records are marked with the word "Cemetery". Is it the case that the Register records the funeral services held at the Church as well as those buried there? Perhaps someone with local knowledge can supply the answer. Can't find an obituary using 'Welsh Newspapers Online'.
Emyr

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Tanyfron terrace is no longer standing today. If you where to google ‘Llanddwyn Flats’ in Blaenau Ffestiniog you would see the very spot where Tanyfron once stood.
Tanyfron terrace consisted of  8 small terrace houses. Running along side Tanyfron was a further row of houses, they named this row ‘New Street (1-10 New street) and this entire row has since been demolished.
Now I’ve been told by people who once lived in both Tanyfron and New street that it was the actual ‘Road’ they remember as ‘Closygraig’.
This whole street/road/8 terrace houses stood behind ‘Lord Street’, Lord Street still stands today

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
I have attempted to edit an old map (rather badly) with a bit of colour, so that you have better understand.
Red- Tanyfron Terrace.
Yellow- the chapel that devides both streets (still stood today).
Blue- from 1- ? New Street which run up along Closygraig road.

(Can’t find the option to upload a file, so will send this via PM)

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
And finally, having spoken to former residents of both Tanyfron and New Street on Closygraig road, many who have made reference to a family of memorable names living at 2 Tanyfron Terrace on Closygraig road.
Living at number 2 was a local man known by all as ‘Wil Tatws’ (Blaenau Ffestiniog is known for its nicknames).
Apparently Wil Tatws was a jolly guy and was well known within the community. There are story’s of him always driving his truck/wagon around town whilst standing-up. Due to his standing whilst driving, he later became to crash his truck and was injured in the process, this injury left him deaf.

Also at number 2 lived ‘Jini Tatws’, and although I haven’t yet been told of her relationship to Will, I am wandering could she be your Jane?.

Shortly after the death of Wil Tatws, Jini and the rest of the family moved in to the house next door, to number 3 Tanyfron Terrace where they remained until the row was demolished

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your effort and info sorry but the file in the PM was not visible but I do have a map which shows Lord st so I have the just of what you were trying to show me . The last info I have on Jane Roberts is the 1901 census still at 2 Tanyfron terr down as a widow with 4 of her children Hugh 26 ,John 20 ,Jane 14 ,and Mary 12 I have made little progress in finding anymore about them the registrar in Marian St Festiniog done a lot of searching for me looking for marriages for them with out success .i do know that John came down to South Wales as did my grandfather William but William died before I was born and I did not start researching till after John had passed away .....so the family info was scarce bits and bobs about maybe the girls had gone to America !! Trawled Ellis island no joy My hope is that maybe they had children and one day they will see my info on Roots .

Thanks again for your interest
Kind Regards Mrs griff

Roberts,  Williams.