Author Topic: "Primitive Methodist" Church? - COMPLETED, THANK YOU!  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
"Primitive Methodist" Church? - COMPLETED, THANK YOU!
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find records of a possible family connection in Wales (Abergavenny, in fact), whose grandfather and uncle or brother were ministers, and one (I think) a missionary, ... later, both were elevated to higher positions in the church.  I've checked the Church of England database, without definite results.  They appear in various Censii, but I'm pretty sure their particular religion isn't noted.

There may be a hint in the Sydney, Aust., marriages of my fellow, however; - one was "according to the rites of the Primitive Methodist church", and the other was "Free Church of England".  The second one, I've investigated already, and have discovered it was pretty much a short-lived Sydney-based libertarian offshoot of the C of E ... but the first has led me to wonder ...

Was there a college where ministers of the Primitive Methodist church were trained and/or ordained?  And - more importantly - is there a database that's accessible via the web?

(*Incidentally, my fellow was buried with his second wife and infant son ... in the Presbyterian section at Rookwood!*)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Primitive Methodist" Church?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The Primitive Methodist Church was one of the Methodist Churches which united in 1932. The Primitive Methodists were a major off-shoot of the principal stream of Methodism - the Wesleyan Methodists - in 19th Century Britain.
The Primitive Methodist Church had a Theological College in Sunderland, which closed in 1884 when a one was opened in Manchester. In 1843 they founded missions in Australia and New Zealand.
The Free Church of England was a small protestant body which originated in 1843, in a dispute between the Bishop of Exeter and one of his clergy James Shore. In 1927 it united with the Reformed Episcopal Church.
Methodists, and Free Church of England were  Christian Denominations, the religion is Christianity
The plural of census is censuses  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh you're right, Stan!  Any wonder I flunked Latin LOL!

My possible ancestor would have trained, and been ordained, in the late 1700s or early in 1800.  Would there be a database I could search to find him? 

The second chappie I'm not at all sure about; he married in South Africa, and had two children in India, before returning to the UK, where he shows up later in Somerset.  No guarantees he wasn't ordained in either SA or India, though  :-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:32 GMT (UK) »
The Primitive Methodist Church was not formed until 1810, so he would have been trained by the Methodist Church. The Records for Methodists are held at the John Rylands University Library, Manchester http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/specialcollections/collections/methodist/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Stan - will put my specs on and go looking :)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Primitive Methodist" Church? - COMPLETED, THANK YOU!
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Ughhhhh ... obviously having a seniors' moment, here ...

Can't find either of my fellows there, and much of what I am finding has an American slant ...

*Sigh!*  looks like I'll have to keep searching  :-\