Author Topic: St. Andrews resident in 1936: Cuthbert BUMBY  (Read 2573 times)

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Andrews resident in 1936: Cuthbert BUMBY
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 23:48 GMT (UK) »

I've found a ship's log that lists one of my Bumby interests as living in St. Andrew's, Scotland in 1936.  I'd love to know more about him, including any available census, possible spouse/family, and death date.

Ship Name: Sibajak
Date of Arrival: 20 July 1936 at Southampton, England

Cuthbert BUMBY
age 63
living in St. Andrew's, Scotland
Retired

He was born in Yorkshire, England, to John and Sarah Ellen Bumby.  I'm curious about his move to Scotland and life there...

Thanks!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

Offline Duncraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Andrews resident in 1936: Cuthbert BUMBY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 07:13 GMT (UK) »
He, a surveyor of Customs and Excise, married my relative Elizabeth Woodcock at Edinburgh in 1920. She was born at St Andrews and died there in 1971 aged 93.
Neil Cameron

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
So wonderful to hear from you!

Since I posted this in 2009, we've run across his marriage certificate to Elizabeth.  The witnesses were S. Bumby and J.L.I. Woodcock.  They married rather later in life, he 47 and she 43.  Do you know if they had children?

Are you able to identify Cuthbert?  If so, I can send you a jpeg we believe to be him, so you can let us know if it is indeed him.

I've sent you a PM with my Email address.  Do respond if you'd like a copy of their marriage certificate or would like to help us identify him in the photograph!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

Offline Sonofsuffolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 21 12:42 BST (UK) »

I've found a ship's log that lists one of my Bumby interests as living in St. Andrew's, Scotland in 1936.  I'd love to know more about him, including any available census, possible spouse/family, and death date.

Ship Name: Sibajak
Date of Arrival: 20 July 1936 at Southampton, England

Cuthbert BUMBY
age 63
living in St. Andrew's, Scotland
Retired

He was born in Yorkshire, England, to John and Sarah Ellen Bumby.  I'm curious about his move to Scotland and life there...

Thanks!

I realise this was posted years ago, but I only just saw it.
Cuthbert was my great uncle. I have quite a lot of information about him and other family members, including many photos.
Let me know if this is still of interest!

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
Please excuse my pedantry, but it's St. Andrews, not St. Andrew's!

Harry

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 21 08:00 BST (UK) »

I realise this was posted years ago, but I only just saw it.
Cuthbert was my great uncle. I have quite a lot of information about him and other family members, including many photos.
Let me know if this is still of interest!
[/quote]

Oh, my!  Yes!  I just sent you a PM with email address.  We look forward to connecting with you!