Author Topic: Where is San Antonio township in CA?  (Read 10408 times)

Offline Brindie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is San Antonio township in CA?
« on: Monday 09 November 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Charlotte HERBERT were found on the 1870 census living in San Antonio township. Can anyone tell me where that was (is), was it connected to the Mission?

I gather it was in the general area of Salinas, Soledad and Monterey. 

Many thanks, Brindie

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: San Antonio township
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brindie

Which US State? Texas? California?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Brindie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was California, but could be wrong. Would it be down on the border?

Brindie

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brindie

Appears it was California..... ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,230890.0.html

Charlotte was a 76 yr old widow in 1920 living with one of her children - in Monterey County, CA
Thomas was age 43 in the 1880 Census, 63 in the 1900 Census

http://www.interment.net/data/us/ca/monterey/kingcity/index.htm
Their grandson Garnet Wallace HERBERT jnr died in 1970 and is buried in King City Cemetery, King City, Monterey County, California.   Looks like his father is too, indexed as G W HERBERT and his mother Audrey Lena HERBERT.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline gylorraine

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where is San Antonio township in CA?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever find your answer on San Antonio Township in CA? I too was looking for it and found a bit of info on it. Your post is old so I assume you have found what you need.

Lorraine

Offline Brindie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorraine, yes that was a long time ago.  I could never find San Antonio township on a map, but thought it would have been somewhere near the mission that was there at the time.

Can you let's know if you find anything more definitive?

Claire

Offline gylorraine

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
One federal census, it shows my family living in San Antonio, Los Angeles. Technically, it was San Antonio Township (that will come up when you search for it) and even more technically it was San Antonio Ranchero. Seems that ranchero's were established in land grants via Spanish/Mexican explorers. As the land was divided for the descendants, the parcels became smaller and smaller. Some ranchero's kept their name such as San Antonio Township and that later because Bell and Huntington Park and some other So Cal cities. Wikipedia does a pretty good job and I found a map here: www.history-map.com/picture/003/Spanish-Mexican-ranchos-Angeles.htm

Hope this helps, I know it took me a very long time and once I got a hit, I was able to go from there. Seems that the word township was the key. Good luck.

Lorranie

Offline Conovaloff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 04:00 GMT (UK) »
See
Map of Vernon, CA  1936-1937
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p15150coll4/id/13374/rec/1
at the Huntington Library, Pasadena

Click on page : "Insert 1 of Book 7."
Enlarge to to find in the center, outlined in brown : "San Antonio"

Offline tcsmithgeol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
Per the 1870 census, San Antonio Township is in Los Angeles County. Wikipedia gives 33.983333,     -118.216667 as the centroid of the historic San Antonio Rancho, which covered parts of modern-day Bell, Bell Gardens, Commerce, Cudahy, Huntington Park, Lynwood, Maywood, Vernon, South Gate, and Walnut Park.

Per US Genweb (see http://www.us-census.org/states/california/teams/LosAngeles1900-T623-92.htm), the 1900 Census description of enumeration districts provides the following two-part descriptions:

• San Antonio Township (part) Florence Precinct
    All that part of San Antonio Township described as follows: Commencing at the southwest cornr of T. 2 S, R 13 W, S. R. M. thence north on the range line three miles to northwest corner of Sec. 15, said Township; thence east about 2300 feet to west line of city of Los Angeles; thence south along the west line, and east along the south line of Los Angeles city to S. P. R.R.; thence east about 1800 feet to the 1/4 corner between sections 15 and 22, T. 2 S, R. 13 W. the center of Santa Fe Avenue; thence south through center of Sections 22, 29, and 34 to the S. P. R.R. thence south along the S. P. R. R. and east side of Rancho Tajuata to Township line between Townships 2 and 3 S; thence west on Township line to place of beginning
  • San Antonio Township (part) Fruitland Precinct
    All that part of San Antonio Township described as follows: Commencing at the intersection of the Old San Gabriel River with the northern boundary of the Downey and Hellmun Truct, Rancho San Antonio; then (the desciption presented on the website ends)

The National Archives probably has a description of the enumeration districts for 1870, but the above suggests that it probably overlapped with the rancho although the boundaries may not have coincided.

The LA County Public Library or the State Library might be worth checking for a map of the township.