Author Topic: George Simpson  (Read 2961 times)

Offline jillbw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Simpson
« on: Saturday 14 November 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
My gr gr grandfather was George Simpson who was born in Rathen around 1800. He farmed at Crookahil New Aberdour. Hi wife was Ann Gall and they had 11 children ( My gr grandfather was Andrew Findlater) George died in1870. His father was also called George ( I think wife called Jean Wilkie?). I can't find anything about George the elder. Family sources tell me that there was a tie in with James Young Simpson (chloroform) but I am struggling to find the connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jillbw

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,welcome to rootschat. Have you seen George's death certificate? You can get it on scotlandspeople website. His parents names should be on it. As you have his date of death,am I right in assuming you've seen his gravestone in the kirkyard of Aberdour?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I am an ancestor of William Gerrard & Elizabeth Anderson. Their eldest daughter married a James Gall. I have a copy of a newspaper article dated 11 December 1887 regarding the death of Mr.James Gall,Cowford.It is too lengthy to type in full but here's a snippet; "his house mentioned was built at the place now called Crookahill,where he resided until 1799,when he removed to Cowford - (both places belonged to "Fittie")- where he resided until his death,which took place January 24th,1838,aged 82 years.His wife outlived him,dying in 1841 aged 84 years." It goes on to say that their eldest daughter was the mother of Dr.Findlater.Also states"that James was amongst the youngest of the family,which is all gone now except Ann (Mrs.Simpson,Crookahill)"
Although you were asking for information on the Simpson side of the family I felt I had to share this Gall information with you.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jillbw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi flst
Thank you for the information. William and Elizabeth were my 4 x Gr grandparents.
I have seen George's gravestone in New Aberdour's graveyard and do have his death certificate which states his parents were George Simpson and Jean Wilkie.
George and Ann's son was Andrew Findlater Simpson and it seems that ann's sister (Elizabeth) married Andrew Findlater - their son must have been Dr. Findlater. There is a well (which I have photographed) on the beach at New Aberdour called St. Drostan's well but it is in memory of Andrew Findlater. I would be really interested to read the full newspaper article. Where is it from? If you have it electronically, could you email it to me. How far back have you got with William and Elisabeth. I have only got to William's Mum and Dad and Elisabeth's Mum and Dad.
We must be some sort of cousins hundreds of times removed.
Nice to hear from you and thanks again.
Jill

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,William & Elizabeth were my 5 x great grandparents.I have made contact with many others who share the Gerrard genes! The first article was in the "Banffshire Journal, Aberdeenshire Mail, Moray,Nairn,and Inverness Review,and Northern Farmer,"- Tuesday,December 11 1887.The second article was in the "Banffshire Journal" -August 24th 1889. Please send me a pm with your email address. Do n't post your email address publicly. I will scan the articles & send them on to you (or indeed anyone else who's interested in the Gerrard's of Aberdour).
Who was the informant on George's death certificate? Could they have got the names wrong? Perhaps George was illegitimate? Have you ever come across any other relatives in the censuses which may give you a lead?
flst

Offline Ian Grant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Was your gt grandfather Professor Andrew Findlater Simpson, died 31 July 1923. He is buried in Liberton Cemetery, with a Greek inscription on his grave.
I am writing a book on Greek Inscriptions in Scotland, so am looking for background information.
Best wishes,
Ian

Offline Lynz1978

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, came across this post & found it very interesting. My mum & dad bought crookahill in 1977 (where I was born)& lived there until 2016. Amazing what you come across on the internet